"Basaic Socorro Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Socorro by Basaic
Socorro Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 126 photos
The Socorro County Courthouse was built in 1940 using the Spanish Pueblo Revival Style of architecture. It replaced the one built in 1884 using the High Victorian style of architecture that was damaged by an earthquake in 1906. This is a pretty building with projecting Vigas (dry peeled logs used for decoration) and wooden lintels.
The mission here was founded in 1598 and the parish established in 1615. The mission was built in 1821 and was originally called "Nuestra Senora de Perpetuo Socorro" (Our Lady of Perpetual Help). The mission quickly became a center for the community and its activities. In the early 1800s a band of Apache planned to attack the church; but called it off when they reportedly saw a man with wings carrying a sword hovering over the doorway to the mission. A petition was made to the bishop to change the name to San Miguel in honor of St Michael Angelic protector of the people. The church is very impressive and a pretty reminder of the town history.
Probably the most famous building in Socorro after the mission is the Garcia Opera House. It is located a short distance from Kittrel Park and was built by Francesca Garcia in 1884 using money left to her by her late husband. The opera house was built with curved walls 34 inches in width to improve the strength and the acoustics of the building. It also has possibly the last "raked" stage in existence in the United States.
The tall building with the advertisement painted on the side was built in the 1880's as the Knights of Pythias Hall. The... more travel advice
The Manzanares Historic District extends east of the highway towards where the railroad depot was. The beautiful Val... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Socorro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Help for travellers"
- "Basaic Socorro Page"
- "50,000 Birds Can't Be Wrong"
- "Little Fluffy Clouds"
- "AGBAT's new Socorro Page"
- "Middle America Meets Old New Mexico"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Socorro
- 22 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Socorro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Socorro
Photos in SocorroSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos