"Basaic Mesilla Page" Mesilla by Basaic
Mesilla Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 63 photos
The town of Mesilla is located just Southwest of the city of Las Cruces. In the late 1800s Mesilla was the larger more important town but when the railroad was coming through Mesilla opted not to allow the railroad to build a depot here and Las Cruces grew faster than Mesilla. Mesilla is important historically for several reasons. It was an important stop on the Butterfield Stage Line, it was an important part of the purchase of land from Mexico in the Gadsden Purchase and it is where "Billy the Kid" was tried and sentenced to death for his activities in the Lincoln County War. The center of the town was the plaza which they have tried to maintain as close as possible to the way it appeared in the 1800s.
There are several historic buildings in Mesilla including La Posta de Mesilla which was a stop on the Butterfield Stage Line. It is the only building on that stage line that is still in tact and still in use today.
Mesilla is also home to the newest state park in New Mexico, Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park, which just opened in December 2008.
- In a nutshell:Historic Town; Beautiful Park
This building is the only intact stop along the Butterfield Stage Route. It now houses La Posta de Mesilla. If you can... more travel advice
The Fountain Theater was built in 1905 for Albert Jennings Fountain and is the oldest movie thetaer in New Mexico. In... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Mesilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our last few hours in New Mexico ..."
- "Basaic Mesilla Page"
- "Mesilla, New Mexico"
- "Transit stop in the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mesilla
- Hotels in Mesilla
- Nightlife in Mesilla
- Restaurants in Mesilla
- Shopping in Mesilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mesilla
- 15 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1719)
Have you been to Mesilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mesilla
Photos in MesillaSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos