"Basaic Fort Selden State Monument Page" Fort Selden State Monument by Basaic
Fort Selden State Monument Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 29 photos
The Visitors Center for Fort Selden State Monument has an informative film you can watch and a nice museum with lots of informative exhibits to walk thriugh before you start your walking tour.
Fort Selden itself was constructed of adobe bricks and was established in 1865 to try and keep peace between the Mescalero Apache, Anglo, Spanish, and Mexican settlers. It was placed on a strategic bend of the Rio Grande River along the El Camino Real. The El Camino Real was the road from Mexico City to the Santa Fe Area. The area near Fort Selden attracted a lot of settlers due to the availability of water. farther north the trail veered away from the Rio Grande, was called Jornada del Muerto, and was more sparsely settled.
At one point the post was commended by CPT Arthur MacArthur. CPT MacArtur lived here with his family including his young son, Douglas, who would grow up to be a soldier himself. A kinda famous one. This is all that remains of Douglas MacArthur's old home.
They chose an amusing way to make the point. Do be careful because the area is popular with rattlesnakes. more travel advice
This is a closeup of the materials used to construct the buildings of the fort. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Fort Selden State Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Fort Selden State Monument Page"
- Create a Fort Selden State Monument Travel Page
- Things to Do in Fort Selden State Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Selden State Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Selden State Monument
- 10 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to Fort Selden State Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Selden State Monument
Photos in Fort Selden State MonumentSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 222 reviews, 550 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 109 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos