"Basaic City of Rocks State Park Page" City of Rocks State Park by Basaic
City of Rocks State Park Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 28 photos
About 30 million years ago a large volcano erupted and spewed ash and rocks over the countryside of what would become Southern New Mexico. This ash and rocks was sculpted by wind and water into the rows of monolithic blocks from which the City of Rocks State Park takes its name. Attractions include the fantastic rocks themselves, nice cactus gardens, hiking trails, campsites, and the star observatory.
There are at least three hiking trails in the park. One cuts through the middle of the rock formations, one makes a circle of the entire park, and there is also a trail that represents the solar system and has informative signs about the sun and the planets.
There are campsites in the park for both camping with elecricity and water and primitive sites. Many of the primitive sites are located right next to the rocks.
- In a nutshell:A truly interesting state park.
The third trail through the park is the Hydra Trail. The Hydra Trail circles around the rock formations and is about 3.3... more travel advice
The Main Train through the park takes you through the center of the rock formations. It is about 1.5 miles long and is... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
City of Rocks State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic City of Rocks State Park Page"
- Create a City of Rocks State Park Travel Page
Badges & Stats in City of Rocks State Park
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1379)
Have you been to City of Rocks State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in City of Rocks State Park
Photos in City of Rocks State ParkSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos