"Basaic Carlsbad Caverns National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park by Basaic
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 374 photos
Carlsbad Caverns became a national park in 1930. The formation of the cavern, however, began much earlier. Approximately 250,000,000 years ago the remains of sponges, algae, and seashells created a 400-mile limestone reef in the inland sea that existed here at the time. The reef was pushed up by forces below the surface and it developed cracks. This uplift is also what formed the nearby Guadalupe Mountains. Eventually the sea evaporated and the reef was buried under many layers of gypsum and salts. Water coming down from the surface combined with water rich with Hydrogen Sulfide gas from oil and gas fields below the surface to form Sulfuric Acid. This acid formed the large chambers you see today. More recently, about 500,000 years ago, the stalactites, stalagmites, and other formations you see began to form as limestone rich water seeped through the earth and dripped into the air-filled cave.
There are a number of different types of formations in the cavern including this one which is called "lion's tails".
There are a few pullouts on the road into the park including one that has a short paved trail leading to an overlook of Walnut Canyon.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit!!
The Big Room Trail is 1.5 miles long, paved and relatively flat. The paving can be slippery when wet. Good walking... more travel advice
I am not actually sure what this type of formation of stalagmite is called; but it kinda reminded me of an old... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Carlsbad Caverns National Park Page"
- "Carlsbad Caverns - it blew my mind!"
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, One of My Favorite"
- "Carlsbad Cavern: Its Whats Down Below That Counts"
- "The Stunning Underworld..."
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, US"
- "A Hobbyist's Thoughts on Cave Photography"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Hotels in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Transportation in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Nightlife in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Restaurants in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Shopping in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- 33 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1378)
Have you been to Carlsbad Caverns National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
Photos in Carlsbad Caverns National ParkSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos