"Basaic Columbus Page" Columbus by Basaic
Columbus Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
Columbus is a small city of about 22,500 (up 7% since 2000) located at the Intersection of US Highways 30 and 81 in East Central Nebraska. It's location at the confluence of the Loup and Platte Rivers, along with its location along the "Great Platte River Road", between Fort Kearny and Fort Laramie have had a major influence on the town's history. Columbus was started in 1856 and derived its name from Columbus, Ohio wher many of the original settlers came from. Columbus is the county seat of Platte County which was named after the Platte River. The Platte County Courthouse is quite pretty and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Columbus boasts a couple of different museums including the impressive Platte County Historical Museum, an Art Museum and a monument to the guy that invented the landing craft used at Normandy Beach in World War 2.
Historic Glur Tavern is the oldest tavern west of the Missouri still in use today. Great place to stop and have a drink and enjoy the history!
$16 as of August 2013. This restaurant looks pretty nice on the outside and the interior is very nice. It looks classy... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Columbus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Columbus--the railroad town"
- "Columbus, Nebraska"
- "Basaic Columbus Page"
- "Columbus resident view of town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Columbus
- Hotels in Columbus
- Restaurants in Columbus
- Warnings and Dangers in Columbus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbus
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Columbus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbus
Photos in ColumbusSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos