"Basaic Medora Page" Medora by Basaic
Medora Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 31 photos
Medora is a tiny town in Southwest North Dakota. It is the county seat of Billings County. The old courthouse (shown here) houses a nice historic museum. Medora is really a bit deceptive. There are only 112 residents but the town has much more in the way of facilities and attractions than its size might indicate. Add in tourists and Medora is MUCH bigger. Theodore Roosevelt National Park South Unit is here, as is the de Mores Chateau State Historic Site. Medora hosts fine food and music too. There is something for most everyone here.
Medora is probably my favorite place in the state.
De Mores State Historic Site preserves the home and ranch of Antoine Amedee Vincent Amat Manca de Vallombrosa the Marquis de Mores et Montemaggiore. De Mores was born in Paris on 14 June 1858 and descended from French, Italian, and Spanish nobility. He was a soldier in the cavalry but found peacetime too boring so he emigrated to New York where he worked in a bank and made a study of cattle ranching. While in New York he met and fell in love with a beautiful banker's daughter Medora von Hoffman. After his cousin returned from the Dakotas with stories of his adventures, de Mores decided to come here and start a ranch. He selected this site and bought land along the Little Missouri River. He then laid out the plan for a town which he named after his wife, Medora. The couple were very well loved by the townspeople.
I always enjoy talking to the locals and my fellow travelers. I had a real nice conversation with this guy at the Medora Welcome Center. He seemed to enjoy the talk, but seemed anxious to get back on his horse and ride the range, too.
Basaic's Related Pages
Medora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "bently1's new Medora Page"
- "Historic Medora"
- "Basaic Medora Page"
- "North Dakota Badlands -"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medora
- Hotels in Medora
- Transportation in Medora
- Warnings and Dangers in Medora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medora
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Medora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medora
Photos in MedoraSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos