"Basaic Vicksburg National Military Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicksburg National Military Park by Basaic
Vicksburg National Military Park Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 199 photos
The Battle of Vicksburg was one of the most decisive battles of the Civil War. The Confederate's defeat foreshadowed the inevitable victory by the north. The battle began when Union Forces under General Grant started his movment towards Vicksburg leaving Milliken's Bend on 31 March 1863. Grant's army continued marching and fighting Confederate trrops until he reached Vicksburg on 18 May. Vicksburg was essential to control of traffic on the Mississippi River. If Grant could take Vicksburg it would disrupt supplies for the south and drive a wedge between Confederate Forces in the east and the west. The south surrendered Vicksburg on 4 July 1863. A fact that so angered people in the town that they refused to celebrate the 4th of July until during World War 2 when the nation was trying to reunite after the war.
There are several different types of monuments and displays in the park to include: state monuments; specific unit monuments; monuments to different key people; significant sites of interest; the USS Cairo and it's museum; and others. Probably the most impressive and most photographed of the State Monuments is the Illinois Monument.
Also worth a visit is the USS Cairo and the small museum associated with it. The USS Cairo was sunk on 12 December 1862. It remained sunk in the Mississippi until it was salvaged in the early 1960s. Many of the artifacts recovered from the ship are on display in the USS Cairo museum.
- In a nutshell:An interesting piece of history, well presented
There is also a museum telling the story of the USS Cairo and showing some of the artifacts recovered when it was... more travel advice
Also worth a visit is the USS Cairo and the small museum associated with it. The USS Cairo was sunk on 12 December 1862.... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Vicksburg National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Vicksburg National Military Park Page"
- "the battle of vicksburg"
- "Modern Cave Dwelling Americans"
- "Vicksburg National Military Park"
- "Be sure to spend a few hours here"
- "Hingepin of the Confederacy"
- "A Road Trip During Spring Break"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicksburg National Military Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicksburg National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vicksburg National Military Park
- 24 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1730)
Have you been to Vicksburg National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicksburg National Military Park
Photos in Vicksburg National Military ParkSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos