"Basaic Vicksburg Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicksburg by Basaic

Vicksburg Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 233 photos

Vicksburg the Town

I was on my way home after spending Christmas with my sisters, their husbands, my nieces and nephews and greatnieces and nephews and I had to get back to work. Therefore, I did not have nearly enough time to play tourist in Vicksburg. Vicksburg has a number of historic and entertaining places to see and things to do. I will definitely return when I have more time to stay there.

This trip I just spent the night at the Motel 6 and spent part of the next day going to the Vicksburg National Military Park and the Vicksburg Battlefield Museum.

Vicksburg National Military Park

The battle of Vicksburg was one of the most important in the US Civil War. When I visited the park it was very foggy and dreary. At first I was disappointed, then I understood how appropriate that was for such a sad and low point in our history. The park is laid out to show where different units were located during the fighting. There are inumerable monuments throughout the park dedicated to specific units and individuals and to the states involved. One of the most impressive monuments, and probably the most photographed, is the Iliinois Monument. Other highlights include the USS Cairo complete with a museum, and the National Cemetery (see my page).

Vicksburg Battlefield Museum

The Vicksburg Battlefield Museum has a very large collection of models of ships from the civil war and beyond. It also has a few dioramas about the battle and other artifacts.

• In a nutshell:Historic and Beautiful Town
  • Last visit to Vicksburg: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2009

Comments

Basaic

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

Badges & Stats in Vicksburg

Have you been to Vicksburg?