"Basaic Tupelo Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Tupelo by Basaic
Tupelo Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 85 photos
In June of 1864, Union MG William Sherman successfully kept Confederat MG Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry corps in Mississippi at the Battle of Brices Cross Roads and away from the Federal supply line in Tennessee. To keep Forrest there in July, Sherman had to order another attack. This landmark commemorates that battle. It is located on the intersection of a very busy road and a smaller suburban street. I thought there was more to it so I missed it the first time I drove by. There is a small pullout for parking and nothing more.
The Lee County Courthouse is very pretty with the columns, the white stone and the dome. There is a veteran's memorial; a Confederate memorial; and a tribute to the town's most famous resident, Elvis Presley on the grounds.
Elvis Presley was born here in Tupelo on 8 January 1935. The home where he was born, the church he attended, and a variety of other items relating to his life including a nice Visitor's Center and Museum have been assembled in a park inside Tupelo.
- In a nutshell:Elvis, the Civil War, and some nice architecture
The Lee County Courthouse is very pretty with the columns, the white stone and the dome. It was built in 1904 using the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Tupelo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Tupelo Page"
- "A good place to visit before seeing Graceland"
- "tupelo mississippi"
- "Tupelo, Lee County, Mississippi"
- "one of Niki's famous short side trip"
- "Center of Western Conferderate Railroad movements"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tupelo
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1433)
Have you been to Tupelo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tupelo
Photos in TupeloSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos