"Basaic Aitkin Page" Aitkin by Basaic
Aitkin Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos
Aitkin is located in East Central Minnesota and has a population of about 2200. It is the county seat of Aitkin County. Both the city and the county are named after William Aitkin an executive of the American Fur Company.
The current Aitkin County Courthouse was built in 1929 replacing an earlier courthouse which was built in 1887. It was built by the firm of Tolz, King, and Day and used the Beaux Arts Classicism style of architecture. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The old jail was built in 1915 to clear more room for the courthouse. It was designed by Minneapolis architect E. C. Pell and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Another interesting stop in town is the Aitkin County Historic Depot & Log Museum, which is housed in the old Nortern Pacific Railroad Depot, a one story mission revival style building constructed in 1915. The museum showcases nice displays about the history of the area and the railroad line. Nearby is the original museum building. The depot is listed on the National register of Historic Places.
Basaic's Related Pages
Aitkin Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Aitkin
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1847)
Have you been to Aitkin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aitkin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos