"Basaic Ludington Page" Ludington by Basaic
Ludington Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 29 photos
The first Euro-American settlement in Mason County began in 1847 when the Caswell Family moved here from New York. They were soon followed by lumbermen attracted by the abudant forrests in the area. In 1855, Mason County, named for the first governor of Michigan Stevens T. Mason, was organized. In 1860 the town of Little Sauble (now gone) was made the county seat. Ludington far outgrew its neighbor however, and was made the county seat in 1873. Ludington was named for James Ludington, one of the founders of the town. I really like the current courthouse (the counties fourth) which was designed by Grand Rapids architect Sydney J. Osgood. It uses the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture and is built of Jacobsville Sandstone from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ludington has a nice historic district with several buildings of historical and/or architectural interest.
There are a few different museums in town; but the one I most recommend is the Sandcastle's Childrens Museum. The museum is well presented and uses multi-media displays, with lots of hands-on to stimulate the imagination of children of all ages. Even old ones like me!
Although this tip is about an accomodation, I am putting it here because I did not stay here. The Stearns was built in... more travel advice
Ludington has a nice library where you can get information about the town and catch up on posting your tips on VT (not... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Ludington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Ludington Page"
- "A Visit to an Old Friend"
- "Ludington - On One of America's Fresh Water Seas"
- "Up North"
- "Invizzible's Ludington Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ludington
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Ludington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ludington
Photos in LudingtonSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos