"Basaic Marshalltown Page" Marshalltown by Basaic
Marshalltown Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
Marshalltown is a nice sized town of about 28,000 (up 6% since 2000) located along Iowa Highway 14 just north of US Highway 30 (The Lincoln Highway) in Central Iowa. In 1851 Henry Anson decided to build a cabin in what he called “the prettiest place in Iowa” and Marshalltown began. Anson named the town Marshall after his prior home of Marshall, Michigan. Anson’s son “Cap” was a professional baseball player, one of the first “superstars” and was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Actress Jean Seberg (Breathless) was also born here. Marshalltown is the county seat of Marshall County. Marshal County was formed in 1846 and named for John Marshall a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The current Marshall County Courthouse was completed in 1886 by John C. Cochrane using the Classical Revival style of architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Marshalltown has a nice historic district with several buildings of historical and/or architectural interest. Six buildings, a bridge and one entire district in Marshalltown are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Glick Sower House.
Another place to see in town is the Marshall County Museum.
$22 as of August 2013. Applebee's advertises itself as a neighborhood type place and frequently it is. The food is good... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Marshalltown Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Marshalltown
- Hotels in Marshalltown
- Restaurants in Marshalltown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marshalltown
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (180)
Have you been to Marshalltown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marshalltown
Photos in MarshalltownSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 217 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos