"Basaic Clarinda Page" Clarinda by Basaic
Clarinda Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos
Clarinda is a town of about 5500 (down 4% since 2000) located at the intersection of US Highway 71 and Iowa Highway 2 in Southwest Iowa near the borders with Missouri and Nebraska. Clarinda was founded in 1851 and was named after Clarinda Buck who reportedly carried water to the surveyors working in Page County. Clarinda had a prisoner of war camp during World War 2 and today has a state prison. Famous bandleader Glenn Miller was born here, as was Vernon Baker (one of 7 African-American Medal of Honor Winners from WW2), and Jessie Field Shambaugh the founder of 4H. Clarinda is the county seat of Page County. Page County was named after Captain John Page who was mortally wounded during the Battle of Palo Alto (related to the Texas Revolution). The very impressive Page County Courthouse was completed in 1887 by architects Foster and Leibbe, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Clarinda has a very nice historic district with several buildings of historical and/or architectural interest. There are four buildings in Clarinda listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There is a nice Heritage Village here in Clarinda. Here you see the Goldenrod School which was located nearby for many years. It is here that Jessie Field Shambaugh taught school and came up with the concept of 4H. The old Goldenrod School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- In a nutshell:Birthplace of 4 H and Glenn Miller
Basaic's Related Pages
Clarinda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Clarinda Page"
- "Vaughan's Vituals Across From The Town Clock Tower"
- "Clarinda Iowa"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clarinda
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Clarinda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clarinda
Photos in ClarindaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos