"Basaic Okefenokee NWR Page" Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge by Basaic
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 66 photos
The star of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge is the approximately 700 square mile Okefenokee Swamp. Okefenokee is a derivative of the Creek and Seminole words for "trembling earth". The swamp has this name because the peat filled earth is so soft if you jump up and down on the land nearby bushes and trees shake. There are 120 miles of boat trails in the swamp. There are three places to gain access to the swamp: One near Folkston; the Stephen C. Foster State Park; and Okefenokee Swamp Park. Okefenokee Swamp Park is probably your best bet if you have kids.
If you have the time, make sure you take a boat ride through the swamp.
Several species of animals live in the swamp. One of the more interesting, is the alligator.
There is also a recreation of a smaller cabin which houses the “Welles Museum” detailing an incident that occurred... more travel advice
As always, obey all warning signs. They are there to protect you and the park. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trembling Earth and Pogo the Possum"
- "Basaic Okefenokee NWR Page"
- "Quintessential swamp country"
- "alligators, not all that scarey!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- Restaurants in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- 17 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Should I have written all my..."
- Wrote a Review Welles Cabin in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welles Cabin"
- updated a Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page "Basaic Okefenokee NWR Page"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge travel pages
Photos in Okefenokee National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos