"Basaic Kolomoki Mounds State Park Page" Kolomoki Mounds State Park by Basaic
Kolomoki Mounds State Park Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 39 photos
The mounds located in the park were built by the Weeden Island, Swift River, Kolomoki and Lamar Tribes of Native Americans. They probably chose this spot due to its proximity to three creeks/rivers. The mounds were built 200 BC and 1200 AD with all three tribes contributing to the mounds in the area. Pictured here is the Temple Mound which was used for religious ceremonies and commanded a great view of the village that existed below. This mound was built about 1200 AD.
The visitors center and museum was built into the side of Mound E. This gives you a unique perspective into what a mound looks like during excavation and how the archeologists approach these sites to learn their secrets.
In addition to the mounds and museum, there are two lakes on site for boating and fishing. There are also 24 camping sites, group and individual picnic areas, hiking trails, and mini golf. The swimming pool is closed due to "economic reasons". Do not swim in the lakes unless you really want to see if you can outswim an alligator.
- In a nutshell:Interesting Pre-History Site
In addition to the walking you will do looking at the mounds there are some hiking trails in the park to include the two... more travel advice
The swimming pool is closed for "economic reasons". Do not swim in the lake because there are alligators in there... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Kolomoki Mounds State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Kolomoki Mounds State Park Page"
- Create a Kolomoki Mounds State Park Travel Page
- Things to Do in Kolomoki Mounds State Park
- Hotels in Kolomoki Mounds State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kolomoki Mounds State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kolomoki Mounds State Park
- 15 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1720)
Have you been to Kolomoki Mounds State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolomoki Mounds State Park
Photos in Kolomoki Mounds State ParkSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos