"Basaic Castillo de San Marcos Page" Castillo de San Marcos National Monument by Basaic
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 92 photos
The Spanish began construction of a fort overlooking the St. John's River in 1672. The fort was in a strategic position to protect interests all along the river and the small town of Saint Augustine. The monument has over 20 acres and includes the Cobi Line a reconstructed section of the walled defense line surrounding the city of Saint Augustine incorporating the original city gates. The Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest masonry and only 17th century fort in North America still in existence. it is an excellent example of the "bastion system" of fortification. The Castillo is a very interesting place to visit. I grew up in nearby Jacksonville so I came here often as a kid.
The courtyard in the middle of the fort was an important part of life. The military used it for training and to conduct drills. During the siege of 1702 thousands of people fled the town of San Agustin to the safety of the fort. Many of them lived in the courtyard, becausethe fort was not built to accomodate so many people.
The castillo has many volunteers who dress in period costume and reenact various activities performed during the 18th Century. This guy is dressed as a member of the Spanish Garrison and is giving a talk on the uniform and weapons the garrison used. They also had a guy that gave a discussion on medical instruments and practices during the era and they reenacted the firing of one of the cannons. If you get the chance to see (and hear) the firing of the cannon, don't miss it!
- In a nutshell:A very interesting piece of early US History!!
You can go on a self-guided tour of the castillo or you can take a tour guided by one of the rangers. The tour is... more travel advice
Of course most of the time at the castillo was not involved in battle. Some of the soldier's lived here so it was... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Castillo de San Marcos Page"
- "Misc. Pictures of St. Augustine and Castillo 2002"
- "Fired on Spring Break"
- "The wonderful Castillo de San Marcos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Shopping in Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- 11 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Castillo de San Marcos National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
Photos in Castillo de San Marcos National MonumentSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 222 reviews, 550 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 109 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos