"Basaic Ridgway Page" Ridgway by Basaic
Ridgway Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 53 photos
Ridgway is a very pretty and interesting town of under 1000 (up 31% since 2000) located along US Highway 550 not far from Ouray in Ouray County in Southeast Colorado. Ridgway has a very interesting history as a railroad town tied to the mining towns of Ouray and Telluride, as a paradise for outdoorsmen and as a file location. Ridgway was established in 1891 and was named for a Denver and Rio Grande Railroad boss. The statue for the Grammy is made here and a number of notable people have called Ridgway "home" at some point in their lives; like Ralph Lauren (the clothing guy), Dennis Weaver, and John Wayne filmed a few movies here including True Grit.
Much of the movie True Grit was filmed in and around Ridgway and some of the sites are still here.
There is also a nice little museum here highlighting the history of the railroad in the town and in this part of Colorado. The museum is FREE too.
Basaic's Related Pages
Ridgway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ridgway - my home for half a year!"
- "Basaic Ridgway Page"
- "My Roots"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ridgway
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Ridgway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ridgway
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos