"Basaic Mesa Verde National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Mesa Verde National Park by Basaic
Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 624 photos
There are way more ancient dwellings; cliff dwellings, old puebloes, remains of pit houses, etc than most people think scattered throughout the western part of the United States. I find all of them fascinating and have explored many of them. Mesa Verde is one of the finest examples of ancient dwellings I have seen. The history of these dwellings began around 1400 years ago when a group of these ancient peoples inhabited the area now known as Four Corners (where Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico meet) and decided to build a community in Mesa Verde. This community thrived for over 700 years. Dwellings are situated all throughout the cliffs and canyons in the park.
At 28 feet in height, the 4 story "Square Tower" is the tallest structure in the park. It was once part of a large 80 room structure complete with 7 kivas (sacred ceremonial rooms). Several of the sites are available to explore using self-guided or ranger-guided tours. Hikes range from short and easy to long strenuous hikes.
A good place to get an overview of the history of the peoples and structures associated with Mesa Verde is the Chapin Mesa Museum located near the Spruce Tree House. They also have an extensive library for those looking to do more in-depth research.
- In a nutshell:Interesting Glimpse into Prehistory in North America
There are paved trails that lead to the various displays in this area. If I remember correctly they are accessible for... more travel advice
The Spruce Tree House Trail is short (1/4 mile each way) and paved but has a 100 foot elevation change. There are... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Castles in Cliffs"
- "Basaic Mesa Verde National Park Page"
- "They're Not Messing Around at Mesa Verde"
- "Enduring home in a fragile world"
- "Amazing Mesa Verde National Park"
- "The basketmakers"
- "Best Concentration of Cliff Dwellings in the U.S."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mesa Verde National Park
- Hotels in Mesa Verde National Park
- Transportation in Mesa Verde National Park
- Nightlife in Mesa Verde National Park
- Restaurants in Mesa Verde National Park
- Shopping in Mesa Verde National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mesa Verde National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mesa Verde National Park
- 39 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1316)
Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mesa Verde National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Friday VT Pub"
- Wrote a Review Pithouse Village Trail in Mesa Verde National Park Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pithouse Village Trail"
- updated a Mesa Verde National Park Travel Page "Basaic Mesa Verde National Park Page"
- Commented on one of mht_in_la's Mesa Verde National Park travel pages
Photos in Mesa Verde National ParkSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 217 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos