"Basaic Twentynine Palms Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Twentynine Palms by Basaic
Twentynine Palms Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 122 photos
The Joshua Tree National Park houses a surprisingly diverse plant and animal life. The main attraction, of course is the Joshua Tree itself (Yucca brevifolia). Additionally, there is the landscape which was shaped by strong winds, unpredictable torrents of rain, and climatic extremes. Dark night skies, a rich cultural history, and surreal geologic features add to the attraction of this place. You would need to spend a few days here to fully explore the park. If your time is limited you may want to consider limiting yourself to the main park roads. There are a number of pullouts with wayside exhibits all along these roads. There are 12 self-guiding nature trails, and you may want to experience at least one of these walks. Keys View, depending on the weather, offersspectacular views including the San Andreas Fault and on really clear days views beyond Salton Sea to Mexico. There are 9 campgrounds and a number of picnic areas in the park. Joshua Tree National Park is also a very popular rock-climbing destination. The park is always open and may be visited anytime of year. Visitation increases as temperatures moderate in the fall, peaks during spring wildflower season, and diminishes during the heat of summer.
Twentynine Palms itself is a town of about 25,000 that has grown a wopping 70% mostly due to the marine base. Twentynine Palms was named in 1852 by Colonel Henry Washington, a surveyor. It was a stop along the "Utah Trail"; but did not really become a city until the 1920s. It was largely settled by homesteaders, many of whom were veterans of World War 1. The town has had a strong tie with the U.S. Military every since.
Twentynine Plams is a nice base for exploring Joshua Tree National Park.
Twentynine Palms has a nice little park dedicated to veterans of the country's military.
- In a nutshell:Nice Town, By a Neat Park
Twentynine Palms was established by homesteaders; many of whom were veterans, and is home to a large Marine Corps base... more travel advice
Since Twentynine Palms is relatively new, there are not that many buildings in town of historical and/or architectural... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Twentynine Palms Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Twentynine Palms -- Desert Mystique & Beauty"
- "Basaic Twentynine Palms Page"
- "Our Weekend Homestead"
- "Not just a Marine Corps base in the desert"
- "The Oasis of Murals"
- "Beautiful Desert"
- "Joshua Tree National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Twentynine Palms
- Hotels in Twentynine Palms
- Transportation in Twentynine Palms
- Nightlife in Twentynine Palms
- Restaurants in Twentynine Palms
- Warnings and Dangers in Twentynine Palms
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Twentynine Palms
- 17 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Twentynine Palms?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Twentynine Palms
- Posted in Travel Florida Keys Forum "Re: traffic during holidays"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Twentynine Palms tips
- Wrote a Review Twentynine Palms and the Military in Twentynine Palms Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Twentynine Palms and the Military"
- updated a Twentynine Palms Travel Page "Basaic Twentynine Palms Page"
Photos in Twentynine PalmsSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos