"Basaic Cabrillo National Monument Page" Cabrillo National Monument by Basaic
Cabrillo National Monument Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 253 photos
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo spent much of his life exploring "the new world" which would later become parts of Central and North America. On 27 June 1542, Cabrillo and his men sailed three ships north to "discover the shores of New Spain" (the west coast of the United States). On 28 September 1542 Cabrillo entered a harbor and set foot on a pristine sandy beach he names San Miguel (what is now San Diego). In 1913 Cabrillo National Monument was established on the southern tip of Loma Point to commemorate the life and explorations of Cabrillo. Start your tour at the Visitors Center where the knowledgeable staff can make recommendations on how to best enjoy your visit based on your interests and the time you have.
There is a short, wheelchair accessible walkway leading to this monument to Babrillo. The view of San Diego from here is excellent.
There are two lighthouses at Loma Point. The old one is part of the park and is easy walking distance from the Visitors Center. The light in the lighthouse was rated to be seen up to 28 miles away; but some mariners reported seeing the light up to 39 miles away. Unfortunately, the lighthouse was too frequently obscured by fog so a newer lighthouse was built at a lower elevation close to the shoreline.
- In a nutshell:Interesting Piece of Our History
Another popular thing to do at the park is to drive down the access road to the tide pools and the beaches. This is a... more travel advice
Over 25,000 Gray Whales migrate past this point, on their annual 12,000 mile migration. An adult gray whale weighs... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Cabrillo National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historical, Interesting And Awesome Views!"
- "~Cabrillo National Monument~"
- "Lighting the Way"
- "Basaic Cabrillo National Monument Page"
- "The discoverer of California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cabrillo National Monument
- Hotels in Cabrillo National Monument
- Transportation in Cabrillo National Monument
- Nightlife in Cabrillo National Monument
- Restaurants in Cabrillo National Monument
- Shopping in Cabrillo National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Cabrillo National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cabrillo National Monument
- 13 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1732)
Have you been to Cabrillo National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cabrillo National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Picture number twenty thousand"
- updated a Cabrillo National Monument Travel Page "Basaic Cabrillo National Monument Page"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Cabrillo National Monument travel pages
- Commented on the Cabrillo National Monument travel guide
- Wrote a Review Bayside Trail in Cabrillo National Monument Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tide Pools, the Beach and Surfing"
Photos in Cabrillo National MonumentSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos