"Berkeley - Icon of the 60s" Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley by Basaic
Berkeley Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 396 photos
Berkeley is one of the most densely populated cities in the state, and has a population of over 100,000. The city was very famous during the 60s for the hippie movement at the University of California - Berkeley, drugs, and rock and roll. UCB has calmed down a little but it still dominates the town and is still known for its liberalism. The campus is beautiful and is well worth a look. Also check out a couple of the more interesting streets in town Telegraph (which is the hippie center) and Solano (which houses several ethnic restaurants, and interesting shops and botiques). As with most cities of any size there are areas to see and areas to avoid.
Another area worth visiting is the bayfront where you will find the Berkeley Marina and Cesar Chavez Park. Both have beautiful waterfront views and are nice places to relax.
A couple of nice places on the edge of town are East Shore State Park (which actually stretches from Richmond on the north to Oakland). Parts of it are here in Berkeley. Another place to see is Tilden Regional Park.
There is also a playground at one end of the parking area, which the kids really enjoyed. more travel advice
We saw some wild birds at the farm and the playground by the parking area. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Berkeley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berkeley - Icon of the 60s"
- "Welcome to Berkeley!"
- "Lived here while studying at the UC"
- "They don't call it Berzerkeley for nothing!"
- "Intro To Berkeley via People's Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berkeley
- Hotels in Berkeley
- Transportation in Berkeley
- Nightlife in Berkeley
- Restaurants in Berkeley
- Shopping in Berkeley
- Warnings and Dangers in Berkeley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berkeley
- 32 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1720)
Have you been to Berkeley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berkeley
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos