"Basaic Benicia Page" Benicia by Basaic
Benicia Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 118 photos
The first passenger and freight depot was built here near the ferry docks in 1879 upon the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. They used to transfer the passengers and freight to the ferries for transport to San Francisco. Later entire trains were ferried by large ferries like the "Solano". This building was built in 1887 in the railroad town of Banta and was moved here in 1902 as Banta began to dwindle and Benicia became more and more important as a trade center. In 1930 they completed a bridge between Benicia nd the town of Martinez retiring the ferries. Today this building, which was preserved as close as possible to original, serves as a visitor's center and headquarters to the "Benicia Main Street" organization an historical preservation group.
This large 20 room mansion built in the New Classical Style was the home of the commandant of the base containing the Benicia Arsenal. It was built in 1860, and has 14 foot ceilings and 2 foot thick walls. This was the social center of the town and guests frequently came by steamboat from San Francisco to attend the parties. Poet Stephen Vincent Benet lived here when his father was commandant of the arsenal. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This stone building overlooks the Carquinez Strait and was built to defend this strategic area. The building has long thin slots to allow rifle fire from inside and larger openings in the front and back for canon fire. The walls are two feet thick. There was originally a third floor and another tower on the rear of the building, but these were destroyed in a fire and were eliminated during the subsequent reconstruction. The Seth Thomas clock in the current tower was placed there as a memorial to Colonel Julian McAllister who commanded the arsenal for 25 years. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- In a nutshell:Interesting History, Nice Town
The people at the visitor's center in the old depot said this seal has taken to lounging on a rock near the depot. She... more travel advice
Another famous person associated with Benicia and the beautiful locations nearby was author Jack London who was well... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Benicia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Benicia Page"
- "Former State California Capitol That's Beautiful"
- "Benicia - Former State Capital"
- "My Home Town"
- "On the Carquinez Straight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Benicia
- Hotels in Benicia
- Transportation in Benicia
- Restaurants in Benicia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Benicia
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Benicia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Benicia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos