"Basaic Vasquez Rocks Page" Agua Dulce by Basaic
Agua Dulce Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 39 photos
I never actually went to the town of Agua Dulce but to nearby Vasquez Rocks which is probably much more interesting. Vasquez Rocks were formed around 25 million years ago when the continental plates collided forcing some rocks up and others down. These formations were then carved by wind, rain, and other weather throughout the years to their current form. The first recorded inhabitants in the area were Shoshone and Tataviam Indians. Later came the homesteaders. In the 1870s the Mexican Bandit Tiburcio Vasquez used these rocks and the surrounding area as a hideout. The interesting rock formations have long been a favorite of Hollywood and have been used for numerous movies and TV Shows (like the "Star Trek"; "The Flintstones"; "NCIS"; "CSI"; "Broken Arrow" and many more).
Today the park consists of almost 1000 acres and is a favorite place for hikers, rock climbers, having a family picnic, or just relaxing and getting away from the city. There are a few nice trails, and a wide variety of plant and animal life nearby. Birds (like blue jays, quail and hawks are common and you may even see a coyote or a rabbit. Be aware there are also rattlesnakes in the area.
Some of the rocks are over 150 feet high. The going is kinda steep in places so sometimes the best way to get down is... more travel advice
I came here with some good friends and their kids for a picnic, a short hike, and to climb the rocks. It is a great... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Agua Dulce Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Agua Dulce ~ "Sweet Water""
- "Basaic Vasquez Rocks Page"
- "La Beba in Agua Dulce, home of Vazquez Rocks"
- "Agua Dulce"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agua Dulce
- Restaurants in Agua Dulce
- Shopping in Agua Dulce
- Warnings and Dangers in Agua Dulce
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agua Dulce
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1364)
Have you been to Agua Dulce?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agua Dulce
Photos in Agua DulceSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos