"Visit Historic Yuma" Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma by Basaic
Yuma Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 428 photos
The Yuma Territorial Prison started when seven inmates were sent to the prison in July 1876. They were housed in cells they built themselves. In the 33 years the prison operated 3069 prisoners, including 29 women, lived within the walls of the prison. The park is open from 8 AM to 5 PM daily except it closes at 2PM on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve. It is closed on Christmas Day. Entrance is $4 for 14 and up and free for 13 and below. Facilities include a visitor's center, a museum, a gift shop, a video room, picnic area and restrooms. They have a number of special events listed on the website.
The Yuma Crossing State Historic Park (AKA Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park) includes the old Yuma Quartermaster Depot. Its history began in 1875 when a weather and telegraph station was established here. Soon thereafter it was expanded into a logistics base supplying US Army forts all over Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and parts of Texas. Inside the park you will find five of the original buildings still standing. They have also hired several people to reenact life at the depot. They have lots of bits and pieces to see too. The park is well worth a visit.
Nearby attractions include:
Yuma - Yuma Crossing State Historic Park, Arizona Historical Society Sanguinetti House Museum, Yuma Proving Grounds, Martinez Lake, Marine Corps Air Station, and Cocopah Indian Museum.
California - Fort Yuma, St. Thomas Mission, Quechan Indian Museum, Imperial Sand Dunes.
Also check out Castle Dome under my "Off the Beaten Path" Tips.
- In a nutshell:Worth a Visit
As always one of my favorite things to do when I travel is to meet the locals. Tammy is a Park Ranger in Yuma. She was... more travel advice
After the post was established, and as it continued to grow, the availability of water grew increasingly important. To... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Yuma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Historic Yuma"
- "History, desert, heat and Indians!"
- "Yuma In the Great Southwest"
- "It's Hot Here!!!"
- "Yuma on the border"
- "Yuma - Several historic sites"
- "Crossing the Colorado River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yuma
- Hotels in Yuma
- Transportation in Yuma
- Nightlife in Yuma
- Restaurants in Yuma
- Shopping in Yuma
- Warnings and Dangers in Yuma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yuma
- 43 Reviews
- 132 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Yuma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yuma
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos