"Wupatki National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Wupatki National Monument by Basaic
Wupatki National Monument Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 326 photos
Wupatki National Monument is the sister park to Sunset Crater. During the times between 400 and 1400 a number of cultures occupied the Southwest. Kayenta, Cohonina, Mogollon, Sinagua, Salado and Hohokam all lived here. Scientists have determined relative boundaries through the pottery, architectural styles, villages and artifacts found in the different areas. Until the 1100s the area around Wupatki was unique because it was a frontier between the Sinagua, Cohonina and Kayenta Groups. Then in the 1100s favorable weather conditions made this area very attractive for settlement and the area became densely populated. Wupatki Pueblo was built in the 1100s. A strange mixture of Kayenta and Sinagua architectural styles along with the discovery of over 100 types of pottery make identifying the builders of Wupatki a mystery. It is believed that by 1190 at least 2000 people lived within a days walk of Wupatki. There are a number of other ruins you can see in the park, not just Wupatki. It is worth a visit especially if you have an interest in history.
If you are entering the Wupatki National Monument from the south via Sunset Vrater Volcano National Monument the first ruins you will come to are the Wukoki (Hopi for Big House) Ruins. Wukoki is smaller than Wupatki but no less impressive. Wukoki was built atop a Moenkopi sandstone outcropping. It was occupied from around 1120 to 1210, most likely by the Kayenta Anasazi Culture. Originally, there were at least six or seven rooms probably housing around three families. Wukoki was three stories high.
Another of the impressive ruins in Wupatki National Monument is The Citadel. The Citadel sits on another high outcropping commanding a nice view of the farmland below. The Citadel has another smaller ruin nearby called Nalakihu (Hopi for House Outside the Village) and is next to a large limestone sink where the limestone underneath the ground was worn away by rainwater and collapsed. There are many other interesting ruins in the park; but for me, if you only have time to see three; stop at Wukoki, Wupatki and The Citadel.
I usually enjoy talking to the locals, which in the case of National Park Service sites means the rangers. Ranger Holly... more travel advice
At the end of the trail leading by the Upper and Lower Box Canyon Ruins you will find the Lomaki Ruins. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Wupatki National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wupatki National Monument"
- "Wupatki National Monument~"
- "Sinaguans at a Cultural Crossroads"
- "Wonderful Indian Ruins and History"
- "Beautiful Ruins, Stunning Landscape"
- "Ancient Civilization"
- "Visiting the Pueblos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wupatki National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Wupatki National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wupatki National Monument
- 29 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1368)
Have you been to Wupatki National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wupatki National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Meet the Locals"
- Wrote a Review Meet the Locals in Wupatki National Monument Things to Do
- Commented on one of PinkFloydActuary's Wupatki National Monument travel pages
- created a Wupatki National Monument Travel Page "Wupatki National Monument"
Photos in Wupatki National MonumentSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos