"Willcox-Home of Rex Allen" Willcox by Basaic
Willcox Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 54 photos
Willcox was called "Maley" when it was first founded in 1880. Willcox was a whistle stop on the Southern Pacific Railroad. It was renamed "Willcox" in 1889 after a visit by General Orlando B. Willcox., and was incorporated in 1905. Willcox has always been a kind of a transportation hub as a number of railroad lines went through here. Willcox is halfway between El Paso and Phoenix along Interstate 10. Cattle and agriculture are also important to the town and there is a big cattle auction here each week. Almost 4000 people call Willcox home.
Two of the most important influences on the town of Willcox were the railroad and Rex Allen the singing cowboy. Both have museums here (see my tips).
There are a number of hotels and restaurants in Willcox to support the tourist trade. If you like Southern Style home cooking; try Rodney's on Railroad Avenue (see my tip).
- In a nutshell:Friendly people, interesting town
$60 as of April 2015. Several years ago this was the Plaza Motel but is now a Quality Inn. It is a definite step down... more travel advice
Next to the Pablo Soto House, at 124 E. Stewart Street, is the historic Schwertner House. It was built in 1880, and... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Willcox Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Willcox-Home of Rex Allen"
- "Chiricahua National Monument"
- "Willcox, Arizona"
- "The spread of purity"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Willcox
- Hotels in Willcox
- Transportation in Willcox
- Nightlife in Willcox
- Restaurants in Willcox
- Shopping in Willcox
- Warnings and Dangers in Willcox
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Willcox
- 14 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1734)
Have you been to Willcox?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Willcox
Photos in WillcoxSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos