"Basaic Tuzigoot Page" Tuzigoot National Monument by Basaic
Tuzigoot National Monument Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 81 photos
Sometime around 1000 AD the Sinagua people built a large pueblo on the edge of the Verde Valley. They built an agricultural based society here and established hundreds of miles of trade routes with neighboring tribes. The pueblo was two to three stories high and had 110 rooms. The US Park Service established Tuzigoot National Monument to preserve this important historical area. In addition to Tuzigoot, there are Sinagua ruins in Walnut Canyon, Montezuma's Castle and Wupatki nearby. The Sinagua left the area in the 1400s. Many believe they blended in with the Hopi Nation.
Here is a view of the Verde Valley where the Sinagua grew their crops. The year round availability of water from the Verde River and the mild climate made for an extended growing season and provided the Sinagua with bountiful crops and good trade materials.
They have a pretty nice museum in the visitors center at Tuzigoot. One of the rangers there was Penny, who was knowledgeable and very friendly. Stop here for park brochures and any souvenir needs you may have (like postcards for your VT friends).
- In a nutshell:Interesting Historic Site
There are some warning signs along the trail at Tuzigoot. Please stay of the walls because they are fragile and we want... more travel advice
Of course the Sinagua are long gone but you can still meet the locals in the form of the park rangers. This is Penny.... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Tuzigoot National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Tuzigoot Page"
- "Tuzigoot National Monument"
- "Castle of the Ancient Ones"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tuzigoot National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Tuzigoot National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tuzigoot National Monument
- 15 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Tuzigoot National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tuzigoot National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Death or Not?"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Tuzigoot National Monument travel pages
- Wrote a Review Obey the Warning Signs in Tuzigoot National Monument Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tuzigoot Trail"
- updated a Tuzigoot National Monument Travel Page "Basaic Tuzigoot Page"
Photos in Tuzigoot National MonumentSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos