"Tumacacori National Historic Park" Tumacacori National Historical Park by Basaic
Tumacacori National Historical Park Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 62 photos
In 1691, Father Eusebio Kino arrived at the Tohono O'odham village of Tumacacori on the east side of the Santa Cruz River. He renamed it Cajetan and started converting the O'odham to Christianity. Thus began the mission San Cayetano de Tumacacori. The actual church was not begun until 1751 and was completed in 1757. The present church was built between 1800 and 1822 by Franciscans. This area, originally called Primeria Alta, saw Spanish, English, Swiss, Austrian, German and Italian influence. In addition to the O'odham other cultures in the area included the Yaqui, Seri, Maricopa, Yuma, and Apache tribes.
Today the old site of Tumacacori is the Tumacacori National Historic Park. Tumacacori National Historic Park is located on Interstate 19 between Nogales, Arizona (on the Mexican Border) and Tucson.
Along the same part of Interstate 19 is the Tubac State Historic Park (see my page); San Xavier del Bac Mission (see my page); Madera Canyon; the Titan Missle Museum, the Mineral Discovery Center; Whipple Observatory; and others.
I lucked out on my last visit to Tumacacori National Historic Park. The park sometimes has demonstations of local crafts... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Tumacacori National Historical Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tumacacori National Historical Park"
- "Tumacacori National Historic Park"
- "San José de Tumacácori"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tumacacori National Historical Park
- Shopping in Tumacacori National Historical Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tumacacori National Historical Park
- 23 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1356)
Have you been to Tumacacori National Historical Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tumacacori National Historical Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Wrote a Review Local Custom Demonstrations in Tumacacori National Historical Park Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Local Custom Demonstrations"
- updated a Tumacacori National Historical Park Travel Page "Tumacacori National Historic Park"
- Commented on one of Stephen-KarenConn's Tumacacori National Historical Park travel pages
Photos in Tumacacori National Historical ParkSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 224 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos