"Basaic Tortilla Flat Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Tortilla Flat by Basaic
Tortilla Flat Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 87 photos
History: There are many different tales about the history of the area where Tortilla Flat is located. Tales of ancient Native American Settlements and Spanish Explorers looking for the Seven cities of Cibola (fabled cities made of gold). There was also a story that Tortilla Flat was an old stagecoach stop. There is no verifiable record of a permanent settlement here before 1904, when a road was built through the area to support the building of the Roosevelt Dam. As the dam grew in popularity as a tourist attraction, the towns reputation grew too. There are also quite a few stories as to how the town got its name.
Today: Today Tortilla Flat is one of the few places to stop along the Apache Trail between Apache Junction and Roosevelt Lake. It boasts a full time population of 6. As to how much of the town is "authentic" and how much is manufactured, I'll let you decide.
Tortilla Flat has a tiny museum inside this tiny school house. It's free.
You can get something to eat or drink at the Superstition Saloon. The two most interesting things about the saloon are the bar stools which are real saddles and the decor which consists of 1 dollar bills pinned to all the walls pillars and ceiling. They have come from all over the world. There is a little foreign currency mixed in to. The story goes that it all started when a businessman wanted to pin a business card to the wall and was jokingly told to pin it to a dollar bill. He did so and the tradition was born. The place burned to the ground in 1987 and thousands of former patrons sent in replacement dollar bills. Check it out!
The Apache Trail; Arizona Highway 88 is sometimes closed east of Tortilla Flat due to flooding. Pay close attention to... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Tortilla Flat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tortilla Flat, Arizona"
- "Population 6!"
- "Basaic Tortilla Flat Page"
- "Apache Trail"
- "Tortilla Flat"
- "Pierre_Rouss's new Tortilla Flat Page"
- "Jumping at Tortilla Flat!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tortilla Flat
- Restaurants in Tortilla Flat
- Shopping in Tortilla Flat
- Warnings and Dangers in Tortilla Flat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tortilla Flat
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1819)
Have you been to Tortilla Flat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tortilla Flat
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos