"Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch" Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone by Basaic
Tombstone Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 723 photos
In 1877, a miner named Ed Schieffelin came to the area that is now Southeast Arizona in search of silver. He told the soldiers at nearby Camp Huachuca he was going to search for silver, and stake his claim 20 miles away in the area just west of the Dragoon Mountains. The soldiers told him the only thing he would find in the area would be his own "tombstone", and a town was born. Schieffelin found silver and settlers flooded the area. Miners soon built a shantytown on the closest level space to the mines they called Goose Flats. Remembering what the soldiers told Schieffelin, and with tongue in cheek, they changed the name to Tombstone. Tombstone filled up with miners, ranchers, gamblers, conmen, crooks, soiled doves (prostitutes) and all the people needed to make a town. By 1881, Tombstone's population exceeded 10,000 and it became the largest town between St. Louis and San Francisco. Also in 1881, the Earp and Clanton feud resulted in the famous gunfight near the OK Corral; a disastrous fire burned out much of the town, but it was immediately rebuilt; and Schieffelin Hall was erected to provide legitimate theater and a meeting hall for the Masonic Lodge. When water began to seep into the shafts, pumps were installed, but the mines were soon flooded to the 600-foot level and were not safe or usable. By 1886, Tombstone's heyday was over, but not before $37,000,000 worth of silver had been taken from the mines.
Today, Tombstone has become a mixture of true history and blatant commercialism. How you will like Tombstone depends on your taste and attitudes. Myself, I find it interesting enough for repeat visits. During special events (which occur with some frequency) the local area residents dress up in costume.
NOTE: Nellie Cashman's is under new management and they changed the name to "Cafe Margarita". I liked the old name better.
There are several hotels and restaurants in the Tombstone area.
- Pros:Interesting History, Pretty Scenery
- Cons:Blatant Commercialism and Kitsch
- In a nutshell:If you are interested, pay a visit
Gunfight shows are popping up in Tombstone faster than nuclear missiles during the "cold war". But if you are going to... more travel advice
One of the most popular places to hang out in Tombstone and drink a few is Big Nose Kate's. Big Nose Kate is best known... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Tombstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legend of American Old West"
- "Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild"
- "Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch"
- "Jumping Around Tombstone!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tombstone
- Hotels in Tombstone
- Transportation in Tombstone
- Nightlife in Tombstone
- Restaurants in Tombstone
- Shopping in Tombstone
- Warnings and Dangers in Tombstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tombstone
- 25 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1379)
Have you been to Tombstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tombstone
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Wrote a Review Got To See the Gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Got To See the Gunfight at the OK Corral"
- Commented on one of Kaspian's Tombstone travelogues
- updated a Tombstone Travel Page "Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch"
Photos in TombstoneSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos