"Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch" Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone by Basaic

Tombstone Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 711 photos

History

In 1877, a miner named Ed Schieffelin came to the area that is now Southeast Arizona in search of silver. He told the soldiers at nearby Camp Huachuca he was going to search for silver, and stake his claim 20 miles away in the area just west of the Dragoon Mountains. The soldiers told him the only thing he would find in the area would be his own "tombstone", and a town was born. Schieffelin found silver and settlers flooded the area. Miners soon built a shantytown on the closest level space to the mines they called Goose Flats. Remembering what the soldiers told Schieffelin, and with tongue in cheek, they changed the name to Tombstone. Tombstone filled up with miners, ranchers, gamblers, conmen, crooks, soiled doves (prostitutes) and all the people needed to make a town. By 1881, Tombstone's population exceeded 10,000 and it became the largest town between St. Louis and San Francisco. Also in 1881, the Earp and Clanton feud resulted in the famous gunfight near the OK Corral; a disastrous fire burned out much of the town, but it was immediately rebuilt; and Schieffelin Hall was erected to provide legitimate theater and a meeting hall for the Masonic Lodge. When water began to seep into the shafts, pumps were installed, but the mines were soon flooded to the 600-foot level and were not safe or usable. By 1886, Tombstone's heyday was over, but not before $37,000,000 worth of silver had been taken from the mines.

Today

Today, Tombstone has become a mixture of true history and blatant commercialism. How you will like Tombstone depends on your taste and attitudes. Myself, I find it interesting enough for repeat visits. During special events (which occur with some frequency) the local area residents dress up in costume.

Facilities

NOTE: Nellie Cashman's is under new management and they changed the name to "Cafe Margarita". I liked the old name better.

There are several hotels and restaurants in the Tombstone area.

• Pros:Interesting History, Pretty Scenery
  • Cons:Blatant Commercialism and Kitsch
  • In a nutshell:If you are interested, pay a visit
  • Last visit to Tombstone: Feb 2014
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Yes, it does look commercialized, but I think I could put up with that.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
      Feb 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM

It is commercialized but I still enjoy coming here and do so often.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Wow--my last comment here I thanked you for posting so many pics and then said I hoped I could visit. Anyway, next time in Tombstone, I'm booking a room for the night! :D

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Tombstone is a bit of a contrast to DPRK!! I love the southwest! My dad was USAF, but now retired. He wanted to go to DPRK because I made him go with me... but he thanked me for it later.

Basaic Visits Here Frequently!

Basaic

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

Badges & Stats in Tombstone

Have you been to Tombstone?

Latest Activity in Tombstone