"Basaic Safford Page" Safford by Basaic
Safford Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 89 photos
Safford has a pretty nice Historic District. It is mainly along a 5 block expanse along Main Street. The first stop is the impressive Neo-Colonial brick building housing the Graham County Court House. The court house was built in 1916 at a cost of over $44,000. It still functions as a county office building today. There are 28 total sites on the Safford Historic Tour.
Another attraction near Safford is the Roper Lake State Park and its annex Dankworth Pond. Roper Lake offers 30 surface acres of water for swimming, boating and fishing. Try it for sailboarding, canoeing or just plain relaxing. After hiking the trails, relax those tired bones in the natural stone hot tub. Enjoy the beauty of the day use island. Catch some of the fish that are regularly stocked in the lake. Make use of one of the three camping areas.
Dankworth Pond also offers good fishing, with 15 lake surface acres. There is a playground for the kids, picnic areas, interpretive signs along the hiking trail and a very nice display showing Native American dwellings from the area throughout history.
Safford is also near the Black Hills Back Country Byway, a 21-mile-long back-road drive through the rugged Black Hills, and lots of other natural beauty.
Also near Safford is the Discovery Park. Discovery Park is under the control of the Eastern Arizona University, and is designed to provide educational opportunities to learn about science. There were two main highlights for me. There is a nice deep water pond where you can observe the wildlife, complete with a bird blind. The most interesting thing though was the Gov Aker Observatory. It has a very interesting display showing beliefs from around the world about the formation of the universe, displays on some of the leading scientists from the past like Gallileo and Einstein, information about how telescopes are made and several other displays. Listen to the sounds of the universe as collected by a radio telescope, or experience one of the world's largest Camera Obscuras. The park also has a 20 inch telescope.
- In a nutshell:Lots to do
The decor was about what you would expect for a Chinese buffet. Booths and tables with Chinese style paintings and... more travel advice
There is a picnic area near the parking area at the trailhead, and picnic tables scattered along the trail. There are... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Safford Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Safford
- Hotels in Safford
- Restaurants in Safford
- Warnings and Dangers in Safford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Safford
- 41 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Safford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Safford
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos
Latest Safford hotel reviews
- Days Hotel Safford
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013