"Basaic Roosevelt Page" Roosevelt by Basaic
Roosevelt Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos
In 1903 the United States Corps of Engineers began building a dam at the confluence of the Salt River and Tonto Creek. The last stone was put in place on 6 February 1911. At the time of it's completion, it was the largest stone dam in the world at 357 feet high. Several thousand people were employed building the dam. Typical wages began at $2.50 a day for laborers to $5 a day for more skilled positions. A town sprang up very quickly at the building site, and was named Roosevelt. By 1907 the town had a baseball team, bowling alley, ice cream parlor, theater, a school, a church and a couple of saloons/brothels. The original town of Roosevelt is now under Roosevelt Lake.
Roosevelt Lake was formed by the building of Roosevelt Dam. It has a wide variety of recreational attractions. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Roosevelt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tonto National Monument"
- "Lake Roosevelt/Apache Trail"
- "Basaic Roosevelt Page"
- "Lake Roosevelt's dam and bridge, from the air"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roosevelt
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Roosevelt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roosevelt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos