"Basaic Quartzsite Page" Quartzsite by Basaic
Quartzsite Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 28 photos
The desert in the southwest United States presented a unique problem for transporting things in the mid-1800s, so in 1856, Secretary of War Jefferson Davis (later President of the Confederacy) imported over 30 camels and hired camel drivers. One of them was a Syrian guy named Haji Ali. some of the US soldiers had trouble with the name and sometimes his name was said quickly so he was called "Hi Jolly". The name stuck. The Camel Corps was never fully tried out because soon after its formation, the Civil War started and the experiment was forgotten. The camels were released into the desert near Quartzsite to fend for themselves.
Hi Jolly, however, remained in the Quartzsite area and tried his hand at scouting, packing, selling water and things to tourists, delivering the "jackass mail" and a variety of other things. He became a very well loved member of the town and the townfolk made this pyramid when he died in 1902. The camel on top is said to be "The Red Ghost" which reportedly terrorized people in and near Quartzsite by running at them out of the dark with a corpse tied to his back for many years.
In 1866 Charley Tyson built an adobe stage station in Quartzsite. The station was an important way station on the California-Arizona line because of the availability of good water and grass for the horses. Miners and freighters, hauling mining equipment and military supplies from the river port at Ehrenberg, to the Territorial Capital at Prescott, also stopped here. In addition to the stage station a hotel, called the Oasis Hotel was added in 1899. The Quartzsite Historical Society opened Tyson's Well Museum in February 1980, after extensive restoration work. The museum houses artifacts of the old west, photographs and old mining equipment. Outside in the yard is the original assay shack from the Mariquita Mine, which offers a peak into the everyday life of the miners. Also, in the yard is the handiwork of Walter Barrett. Just to the west of the museum are the ruins of the Oasis Hotel, which is being restored. The museum is open November through March; Wednesday through Sunday from 10 AM to 4 PM. Admission is Free.
There are several hotels, RV Parks, and Resaurants in Quartzsite. I stayed at the Super 8 near Interstate 10.
Sweet Darlene's is located in a metal building. The decor was long tables and something like plastic patio chairs and... more travel advice
In 1866 Charley Tyson built an adobe stage station in Quartzsite. The station was an important way station on the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Quartzsite Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Quartzsite Page"
- "Quartzsite - AZ - USA"
- "Quartzsite, Arizona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quartzsite
- Hotels in Quartzsite
- Restaurants in Quartzsite
- Shopping in Quartzsite
- Warnings and Dangers in Quartzsite
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quartzsite
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Quartzsite?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quartzsite
Photos in QuartzsiteSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos