"Basaic Picacho Peak State Park Page" Picacho Peak State Park by Basaic
Picacho Peak State Park Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 48 photos
The main reason to pull off Interstate 10 at Exit 219 is Picacho Peak State Park. The first interesting thing about this park is the name. As our Spanish-speaking friends know "Picacho" is the Spanish word for "Peak making this mountain called Peak Peak. Picacho Peak has been a landmark for settlers in the area for many years. Evidence has been found of pre-historic settlers near the peak. Father Eusebio Kino came this way and mentioned the mountain. In 1846, the Mormon Battalion constructed a wagon road through Picacho Pass on their way to California to fight in the war with Mexico. The forty-niners traveled the same road on their way to California, and in 1858, mail and passengers traveled this route via the Butterfield Overland Stage.
The most significant Civil War battle in Arizona took place near Picacho Peak on April 15, 1862, when an advance detachment of Union forces from California attacked a Confederate scouting party. The battle lasted for 1-1/2 hours, and three Union soldiers were killed.
There are several hiking trails available at the park: The Hunter Trail: 2.0 miles; difficult; begins on the north side from Barrett Loop and goes to the top of the peak. The trail climbs a resistant path typical of the Sonoran desert. The route is steep and twisting, with steel cables (gloves are recommended) anchored into the rock in places where the surface is bare; the Sunset Vista Trail: 3.1 miles; moderate first 2 miles, becoming difficult; travels on the south side from the westernmost parking area and goes to top of peak; the Calloway Trail: 0.7 miles; moderate; leads to an overlook; the Nature Trail: 0.5 miles; easy; includes interpretive signs; and the Children's Cave Trail: 0.2 miles; easy; includes interpretive signs.
- In a nutshell:Good Place to Spend a Day or Two and Hike
Here are some views of Picacho Peak From the Calloway Trail. more travel advice
I hiked the Nature Trail which is a .5 mile loop and the Calloway Trail which is .7 miles each way. I did not take the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Picacho Peak State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Picacho Peak State Park Page"
- "A great Saturday morning treat!!"
- "Picacho Peak State Park in Arizona"
- "Picacho Peak St. Pk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Picacho Peak State Park
- Hotels in Picacho Peak State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Picacho Peak State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Picacho Peak State Park
- 13 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Picacho Peak State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Picacho Peak State Park
Photos in Picacho Peak State ParkSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos