"Basaic Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument by Basaic

Organ Pipe Cactus

The best place to see the Organ Pipe Cactus (Stenocereus thurberi) is in the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. There are other places to see them but they are most abundant here. Keep in mind this is the desrt and it is near the border so exercise caution during your visit. Drink lots of water, stay on established paths and avoid any smugglers you see along the trails. Also beware of the rattlesnakes, scorpions and other wildlife.

Ajo Mountain Drive

One good way to see a lot of the attractions in the park is to take the Ajo Mountain Drive. The drive is 21 miles along a graded dirt road. The road is fine for passenger cars as long as you drive carefully. There are 22 stops along the way wher you can explore further and learn more about the area. Two of the stops include the Ajo Mountain Arch and the Estes Canyon Trail (see below). A booklet that will tell you about the stops along the drive can be purchased for $1 at the Visitor's Center. I recommend it.

Estes Canyon Trail

The hiking trail leading through Estes Canyon is fairly difficult. It is 4.1 miles long and very steep in places. The view is worth it though.

• In a nutshell:Desolate and Beautiful
  • Last visit to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Lovely desert scenery and some great photos of the cacti - very dramatic! Your motel looks a good find too. We like to stay at the independents if we can find a reasonable one like this

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hi, Jim! I see it's a nice places to visit! Thanx for sharing....

• Mar 11, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Estes Canyon looks beautiful but I don't know about a steep 4 mile hike.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I'm glad you took photos for me to see because I don't know if I'm brave enough to face smugglers, rattlesnakes, scorpions and whatever is classified as "other wildlife". ;-)

Basaic

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

Badges & Stats in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Have you been to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument?