"Visit the Impressive Montezuma's Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Montezuma Castle National Monument by Basaic
Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 160 photos
Montezuma's Castle (which is misnamed because it is not believed Montezuma ever traveled this far) is one of the best preserved cliff dwellings in North America. The castle consists of 20 rooms and is built into the side of a towering limestone cliff. It was built around 1000 years ago by the Sinagua Indians. It is a classic example of the last phase of southern Sinagua occupation of the Verde Valley. On December 8, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt declared four sites, including Montezuma's Castle, of historic and cultural significance as our nation's first National Monuments.
You can take a leisurly walk along the paved 1/3 mile path, in the shade of large old Sycamore trees, and view the exhibits in the museum. The Montezuma Castle Visitor Center is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day 8 AM to 6 PM and from Labor Day through Memorial Day 8 AM to 5 PM. Entry (which is good for 7 days) is $5.00.
A second part of the park is the nearby Montezuma's Well. It is located a few miles north of the castle. In addition to seeing the well itself; you can see four types of houses: Cave Dwellings; Cliff Dwellings; Pithouses; and standalone Pueblos.
- Pros:Educational and Fun
- Cons:Bring Water
- In a nutshell:A good value; fun for the family
One of the plants which thrives at Montezuma’s Well is Poison Ivy more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit the Impressive Montezuma's Castle"
- "Montezuma Castle National Momument"
- "How they must have done that all those years ago!"
- "Medieval Arizona"
- "Montezuma Castle"
- "Hi-rise Luxury from the 1200s"
- "MONTEZUMA'S CASTLE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Transportation in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Shopping in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- 19 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1424)
Have you been to Montezuma Castle National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Pioneer Badges"
- updated a Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Page "Visit the Impressive Montezuma's Castle"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Montezuma Castle National Monument travel pages
- Wrote a Review Poison Ivy in Montezuma Castle National Monument Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Poison Ivy"
Photos in Montezuma Castle National MonumentSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos