"Basaic Kingman Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingman by Basaic
Kingman Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 275 photos
The Mohave County Court House was built in 1915 next to the Mohave County Jail which preceeded it by 5 or 6 years. Both buildings were built using the Neo Colonial Revival style of architecture. the well known firm of Lescher & Kibbey from Phoenix designed the building and contractors came from Arkansas to build it. The court house was built with Tufa Stone from nearby Metcalfe Quarry. Both the court house and the jail next door are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There are two museums located near each other in Kingman. They are on Historic Route 66. One of them is the Mohave Museum of History and Arts and the Powerhouse Route 66 Museum. The Mohave Museum has dioramas, murals and other displays that offer an introduction Northwest Arizona from pre-history to the present. They also have a special room dedicated to Andy Devine who grew up in Kingman and later became a fixture in many hollywood movies. The Powerhouse Museum traces the history of trails through the Kingman area from pre-history through the Route 66 years to today. Purchase of a ticket for either museum grants access to both.
Andy Devine was born in 1905 in Flagstaff, Arizona but moved with his family to Kingman at a very early age. He began a career in silent movies in 1926 and had parts in around 175 movies and television shows. He usually was the comical sidekick and is considered one of the best character actors to ever grace the screen. His raspy voice, once thought the end of his career in sound movies, became his trademark. Two of his most famous roles were with John Wayne in the famous western "Stagecoach" with John Wayne and as Deputy Marshal Jingles P. Jones in the TV Series "The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock".
Other Attractions: Kingman is a nice place to stay while looking at other area attractions. It is fairly close to Las Vegas; Hoover Dam and the Lake Mead National Recreation Area; the Grand Canyon National Park West (including the skywalk); and the ghost towns of Oatman and Chloride.
Cracker Barrel $12 as of November 2014. This was a typical Cracker Barrel, which to me means it's very good. The... more travel advice
A more impressive house is the Bonelli House, The current house was built in 1915 after the original home, built in... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Kingman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kingman ~Route 66"
- "Basaic Kingman Page"
- "Historic Railroad and Route 66 Town"
- "There's a Very Big Pile of Rocks southeast of Town"
- "Transportation Center"
- "Kingman, Arizona"
- "mafootje's new Kingman Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingman
- Hotels in Kingman
- Transportation in Kingman
- Restaurants in Kingman
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingman
- 24 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1730)
Have you been to Kingman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingman
Photos in KingmanSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 116 reviews, 342 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos