""Crossroads of the Southwest"" Gila Bend by Basaic
Gila Bend Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 50 photos
Gila (pronounced "hee-la") Bend, was named for the sharp bend in the Gila River. It is located near a prehistoric Hohokam Indian Village which Father Eusebio Francisco Kino visited in 1699. Kino found the fertile banks of the Gila River had been abandoned by an early Indian tribe call the Opas, who raised two grain crops annually and irrigated the land using water from the Gila River.
Gila Bend has long been nicknamed the "Crossroads of the Southwest", and was part of an important transportation route in the settling, development and growth of the Great Southwest. Gila Bend is ideally situated as the "center of a wheel" with spokes leading to and from all areas of the southwest.
Gila Bend has almost 2000 residents, and seems to be a very friendly town.
Nearby attractions include the Gatlin Site (a site of an ancient Hohokam Settlement established around 800 AD and which is under development); Fortaleza (another Hohokam Site which is not open to the general public); the Oatman Massacre Site (where the Oatman Family was massacred in 1851); and the Painted Rock Petroglyph Site located just west of town.
Gila Bend also has a town museum which is free and is well worth a visit.
Gila Bend boasts a number of hotels and restaurants.
- In a nutshell:Worth a Visit
The Sonoran Desert National Monument consists of 487,000 acres of desert wilderness in south central Arizona. There was... more travel advice
Updated November 2014. I stopped at the Best Western but they wanted almost $100 for a single. This place had nicer... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Gila Bend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Crossroads of the Southwest""
- "Gila Bend~"Crossroads of the Southwest""
- "A Short Stop-over in Gila Bend, AZ."
- "Pepman's new Gila Bend Page"
- "In the middle of nowhere"
- "Gila Bend - AZ - USA"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gila Bend
- 11 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1355)
Have you been to Gila Bend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gila Bend
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 224 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos