"See Historic Flagstaff in Northern Arizona" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by Basaic
Flagstaff Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 769 photos
Flagstaff has a very interesting history, it did not become a town until the 1890s but in 1876 a group of pioneers going through the area raised a U.S. flag up a pine tree and "flagstaff" was born. It used to be a big logging area and supplied vital resources to mines throughout Northern Arizona. Route 66 came through here. Flagstaff is the county seat of Coconino Cpunty and has a population of over 60,000. Pictured here is the new Coconino County Courthouse. The old one is several blocks away but is more interesting architecturally.
There are several museums here; to me the two most interesting are on the way out of town on US Highway 180. They are the: Museum of Northern Arizona; and the Arizona Historical Society - Pioneer Museum.
There are several attractions near Flagstaff. These include: Sunset Crater Volcanic National Monument; Walnut Canyon National Monument; and Wupatki National Monument. A bit farther away is the Grand Cayon National Park. Inside the city is the vary interesting Riordan Mansion State Park (but you may want to check the status of the park due to budget issues).
- In a nutshell:Too Much to See and Do in One Visit
The Weatherford Hotel was the grand vision of John W. Weatherford who established this hotel in 1897 while Arizona was... more travel advice
The Museum of North Arizona is located on US Highway 180 on the Northwest side of town heading towards the Grand Canyon.... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Flagstaff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flagstaff - Route 66"
- "Flagstaff--Ancient Ruins, Craters & Painted Desert"
- "See Historic Flagstaff in Northern Arizona"
- "Town of Surrounding Sites"
- "Upscale University Town Nearest Grand Canyon"
- "I love Flagstaff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flagstaff
- Hotels in Flagstaff
- Transportation in Flagstaff
- Nightlife in Flagstaff
- Restaurants in Flagstaff
- Shopping in Flagstaff
- Warnings and Dangers in Flagstaff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flagstaff
- 28 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Flagstaff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flagstaff
Photos in FlagstaffSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos