"See Historic Flagstaff in Northern Arizona" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by Basaic

Flagstaff Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 769 photos

Historic Flagstaff and Coconino County

Flagstaff has a very interesting history, it did not become a town until the 1890s but in 1876 a group of pioneers going through the area raised a U.S. flag up a pine tree and "flagstaff" was born. It used to be a big logging area and supplied vital resources to mines throughout Northern Arizona. Route 66 came through here. Flagstaff is the county seat of Coconino Cpunty and has a population of over 60,000. Pictured here is the new Coconino County Courthouse. The old one is several blocks away but is more interesting architecturally.

Museums

There are several museums here; to me the two most interesting are on the way out of town on US Highway 180. They are the: Museum of Northern Arizona; and the Arizona Historical Society - Pioneer Museum.

Nearby Attractions

There are several attractions near Flagstaff. These include: Sunset Crater Volcanic National Monument; Walnut Canyon National Monument; and Wupatki National Monument. A bit farther away is the Grand Cayon National Park. Inside the city is the vary interesting Riordan Mansion State Park (but you may want to check the status of the park due to budget issues).

• In a nutshell:Too Much to See and Do in One Visit
  • Last visit to Flagstaff: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2012

• doug48's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM

great flagstaff page. i visited flagstaff in my youth and have forgot about the scenic beauty of the area. thanks for the great page.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I enjoyed my visit to Flagstaff and Sunset Crater National Monument ! Thanks to remind me these beautiful places!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Thank you for the great guidance of what to see here and the detail was helpful. Wow that motel venture forewarned me to watch how you spend for low end stays

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I wondered if Bonnie knows that her picture is in your website? She is very pretty!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2008 at 4:09 AM

I only passed Flagstaff in a rush to get to the Grand Canyon, such a shame I guess. Your restaurant tips are mouth watering indeed! Thanx for sharing.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 4:02 PM

We loved Flagstaff, a very nice place. Looks like you really liked "Bonnie, the cute waitress". I'm married to "a Bonnie", so I get it. :)

Basaic Visits Here Frequently!

Basaic

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

Badges & Stats in Flagstaff

Have you been to Flagstaff?

Latest Activity in Flagstaff