"Walk in the Steps of Coronado" Coronado National Memorial by Basaic
Coronado National Memorial Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 48 photos
The Coronado National Monument is located in Southeast Arizona along the Mexican Border. It consists of 4750 Acres of Oak Woodland and mountainous terrain. It is through this area that Francisco Vasquez de Coronado and his expedition traveled in their search for the fabled "seven cities of Cibola" from 1540 to 1542.
The national monument has a visitor's center with a small museum/gift shop, a short trail with exhibits, the Coronado Cave Trail (3/4 mile each way with a steep and rocky climb; bring a flashlight and sturdy waking shoes), Joe's Canyon Trail leading to Montezuma Pass Overlook (3.1 miles each way; great views of Arizona and Mexico; joins up with the Montezuma Pass Parking Area), Yaqui Ridge Trail (a 1 mile detour off Joe's Canyon Trail with a steep descent) leading to the Mexican Border and representing the start of the Arizona Trail a trail leading from Mexico to Utah (not complete yet), and the Coronado Peak Trail a short detour from Joe's Canyon Trail leading to the top of Coronado Peak offering historical information along the way. Joe's Canyon Trail rises 1300 feet in the first mile and is not easy. Bring water and protection from the sun.
The road up to Montezuma Pass is now open again so you can drive to Montezuma Pass Overlook. Also note that this park is on the border and gets some illegal and drug smuggler traffic.
- Pros:Challenging hike and great views
- Cons:Have to watch for the illegals and drug smugglers
There is a very short trail right next to the Visitor's Center to introduce you to the plants native to the area. more travel advice
The hike is challenging but the views are worth it. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Coronado National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walk in the Steps of Coronado"
- "Coronado National Park and Memorial - AZ - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coronado National Memorial
- Warnings and Dangers in Coronado National Memorial
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coronado National Memorial
- 21 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Coronado National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coronado National Memorial
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: 2014 Holiday Highlights."
- Commented on one of Basaic's Coronado National Memorial tips
- updated a Coronado National Memorial Travel Page "Walk in the Steps of Coronado"
- Wrote a Review Nature Trail in Coronado National Memorial Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nature Trail"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos