"The Beautiful Chiricahuas" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument by Basaic
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 242 photos
This area of Southeast Arizona has been occupied for thousands of years. It is widely believed, though, that the first permanent residents were the Chiricahua Apaches who settled in the area in the 1400s. In particular, the Chokonen Band of the Chiricahuas lived in these mountains. The Chiricahua Apaches were mostly nomadic and moved as needed to hunt game and gather food. They were skilled and fierce warriors and were widely feared. They fought the Spanish as they entered the land in the 1500s. The Chiricahuas quickly learned the tactics of the Spanish and became skilled at using horses and firearms. After Mexican independence in 1821 and the arrival of ranchers and miners, the tide of people was unstoppable. The Chiricahuas, led by Cochise, Geronimo, and Mangas Coloradas surrendered in 1886.
Entrance fee is $5 per person 16 and over, and is good for 7 days.
There are over 17 miles of hiking trails in the Chiricahua National Monument. They range from short easy trails that are handicapped accessable, to difficult trails almost 10 miles long. The trails lead through magnificent rhyolite formations, forrests of juniper, oak, pine and fir trees, rolling meadows, and Bonita Creek. An abundance of wildlife can be seen as you hike. Some of the trails intersect; like you cannot get to the Inspiration Point Trail or the Heart of the Rocks Trail without hiking other trails first. Make sure you pick up a map when you pay your fee or at the Visitor's Center. So far I have hiked the following trails (and will add tips about these soon): Echo Canyon Trail; Hailstone Trail; Ed Riggs Trail; Bonita Canyon Trail; Silver Spur Meadow Trail; Massai Point Exhibit Trail; Massai Point Nature Trail; and the Sugarloaf Mountain Trail.
Faraway Ranch was built when Swedish emmigrants Neil and Emma Erickson settled here in 1888. Their eldest daughter (who married Ed Riggs who was instrumental in the formation and building of this park) turned the ranch into a guest ranch. From 1917 until 1973 thousands of visitors came here to relax, watch nature, hike, and ride horses. The ranch has now been incorporated into the park and has been designated a National Historic Site.
- Pros:Beautiful area; great hiking trails
- Cons:Somewhat remote; distance to food
- In a nutshell:Come and hike or camp
Here are some other views from Inspiration Point. more travel advice
The Inspiration Point Trail is a 1/2 mile trail each way. It is much flatter than the Mushroom Rock Trail and is a good... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Chiricahuas"
- "The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument"
- "Chiricahua National Monument"
- ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- "Islands in the Sky"
- "Chiricahua National Monument - AZ - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiricahua National Monument
- Hotels in Chiricahua National Monument
- Transportation in Chiricahua National Monument
- Restaurants in Chiricahua National Monument
- Shopping in Chiricahua National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiricahua National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiricahua National Monument
- 62 Reviews
- 164 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1379)
Have you been to Chiricahua National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiricahua National Monument
Photos in Chiricahua National MonumentSee All Photos (164)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos