"Basaic Casa Grande National Monument Page" Casa Grande National Monument by Basaic
Casa Grande National Monument Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 87 photos
Casa Grande (or Great House) is the centerpiece of a Hohokam Village and was built in the 1300s. It is four stories high and 60 feet long. It took nearly 3000 tons of a concrete-like mixture of sand, clay and limestone called caliche to build this, the largest known Hohokam structure. Casa Grande received its name from early Spanish explorers like Father Eusebio Kino. When asked by the explorers who built the village the nearby Pima Indians said "Hohokam" which means "all gone". In 1892, Casa Grande became the nation's first archeological reserve.
Your first stop will be the Visitor Center where you pay your entrance fee and where you can see the displays in the rather well-done museum. You can also get an informative brochure about the park, information about other area attractions, and buy gifts and souvenirs.
In addition to the remains of other village buildings, there is a ballcourt used by the village in competitions within the village and against other villages.
They have a nice display relating to Hohokam era Petroglyphs. more travel advice
The Casa Grande National Monument has a nice picnic area, complete with grills set up across the parking lot from the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Casa Grande National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Casa Grande National Monument~ "Great House""
- "Basaic Casa Grande National Monument Page"
- "Jumping Around Casa Grande National Monument!"
- "The Big House"
- "600 year old ruins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Casa Grande National Monument
- Shopping in Casa Grande National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Casa Grande National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Casa Grande National Monument
- 12 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Casa Grande National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Casa Grande National Monument
Photos in Casa Grande National MonumentSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos