"Basaic Camp Verde Page" Camp Verde by Basaic
Camp Verde Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 107 photos
Montezuma's Castle (which is misnamed because it is not believed Montezuma ever traveled this far) is one of the best preserved cliff dwellings in North America. The castle consists of 20 rooms and is built into the side of a towering limestone cliff. It was built around 1000 years ago by the Sinagua Indians. It is a classic example of the last phase of southern Sinagua occupation of the Verde Valley. On December 8, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt declared four sites, including Montezuma's Castle, of historic and cultural significance as our nation's first National Monuments.
Another attraction near Camp Verde is the Fort Verde State Historic Park. Fort Verde is a good example of the forts built throughout Arizona and was constructed in 1865. This location was first named Camp Lincoln, the Camp Verde and finally Fort Verde. Fort Verde was the primary base for General George Crook’s U.S. Army scouts and soldiers, and was "milepost 0" in the General Crook Trail, a supply trail connecting Fort Whipple, Fort Verde, and Fort Apache. Today Fort Verde has three of the five original buildings still remaining. There are recreations of the interior rooms in these buildings along with a nice museum in the Visitor's Center.
Camp Verde was listed in the book about Arizona Curiosities because it is home to the "World's Largest Kokopelli", a 32 foot statue in front of the Krazy Kokopelli Trading Post.
- Pros:Educational and Fun
- Cons:Bring Water
- In a nutshell:Fun for the family
There are a few picnic tables inside the park. The town of Camp Verde is nearby in case you have forgotten some of your... more travel advice
The last surviving building is the Doctor's Quarters. Duty in the west during the late 1800s was very hazardous, and the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Camp Verde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Camp Verde /Montezuma Castle"
- "Basaic Camp Verde Page"
- "Verde Valley's Oldest Settlement"
- "Montezuma's Castle"
- "The Land of Cacti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Camp Verde
- Hotels in Camp Verde
- Shopping in Camp Verde
- Warnings and Dangers in Camp Verde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Camp Verde
- 12 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1365)
Have you been to Camp Verde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camp Verde
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos