"Basaic Arkansas Post National Memorial Page" Arkansas Post National Memorial by Basaic
Arkansas Post National Memorial Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 27 photos
It would be more appropriate to name this place the Arkansas Posts National Memorial since there have been several posts on or near this site. Although Spanish explorer Hernan de Soto passed this way in 1542, and Father Marquette a French Missionary passed this way in 1682, the first Arkansas Post was not established until 1686 when Henri de Tonti settled in the area and built the post. This post was established for the Bourbons of France, and predated the settlement of New Orleans by 32 years. Later, the flags of Spain, Napoleonic France,the United States, and the Confederate States of America would fly over the seven different posts established here.
One of the reasons people kept coming to this place was it's location on the Arkansas River. The life and history of the town and the posts are tied to this river.
An American Town was established here in 1805. This was a major economic hub for the Arkansas Territory and served as the capitol for two years from 1819 to 1821. The town's demise started with the CivilWar. This disrupted traffic on the river and the economy of the town collapsed. The town was also almost totally destroyed by bombardment by Union Troops. The town never recovered. The area was declared a state park in 1929 and a National Memorial in 1960.
- In a nutshell:Another Glimpse into the Early History of the US
There are trails through the American Townsite (which also leads along the river); the civil war battle sites; and a... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Arkansas Post National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Arkansas Post National Memorial Page"
- Create a Arkansas Post National Memorial Travel Page
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arkansas Post National Memorial
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Arkansas Post National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arkansas Post National Memorial
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who's Brave Enough?"
- Wrote a Review Trails at Arkansas Post National Memorial in Arkansas Post National Memorial Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Civil War Battle"
- updated a Arkansas Post National Memorial Travel Page "Basaic Arkansas Post National Memorial Page"
Photos in Arkansas Post National MemorialSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos