"Basaic Montgomery Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Montgomery by Basaic
Montgomery Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 340 photos
Since the establishment of the Territory of Alabama on 3 March 1817, there have been at least 5 capitals. The first was Saint Stephens (near modern Mobile) then Huntsville. The first "permanent" capital was the small town of Cahawba (near modern Selma). That site was too prone to flooding, however, and Montgomery was chosen as the capital in 1846. One of the cities founders, Andrew Dexter, anticipated this move as early as 1818 and set assigned a parcel of land named "goat hill" as the future site for the capitol building. The first building was designed by Phialdelphia architect Stephen Decatur Button using the Greek Revival Style. It was completed in 1847 but destroyed by fire just two years later. The current buildings also used the Greek Revival style of architecture and was completed in 1851. The Selma to Montgomery Civil Rights March in 1965 ended on these steps.
Montgomery is also where Confederate Prsident Jefferson Davis had his official residence until the capital of the Confederacy was moved to Richmond, Virginia.
There is a lot of history, and many fine museums, in Montgomery.
The Dexter Avenue Baptist Church was organized in 1877 and the present building was built in 1885. It was the second... more travel advice
The Winters Building was built in 1841 to house the Montgomery Branch of the Bank of St. Mary’s. It was from the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Montgomery Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montgomery: Alabama's Capital City"
- "montgomery alabama"
- "Basaic Montgomery Page"
- "Hospitality and Dark Memories"
- "Midnight in Montgomery"
- "Montgomery, Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montgomery
- Hotels in Montgomery
- Transportation in Montgomery
- Nightlife in Montgomery
- Restaurants in Montgomery
- Shopping in Montgomery
- Warnings and Dangers in Montgomery
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montgomery
- 29 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Montgomery?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montgomery
Photos in MontgomerySee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos