"Literary Capitol of Alabama" Monroeville by Basaic
Monroeville Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 15 photos
Monroeville, the county seat of Monroe County has a population of over 7000 people. It is located in Southeastern Alabama near US Highway 84. The town started in 1822 with one store. The Monroe County Court House was built between 1903 and 1904 and was designed by famous Southern Architect Andrew Bryan, using the Romanesque style of architecture with a Georgian influence. The old courthouse is now a museum.
Monroeville has a nice historic district with several buildings of historic and architectural interest, many of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, was born and raised in Monroeville. The fictional town of Maycomb is modeled on Monroeville. The novel received the 1961 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Truman Capote, a childhood neighbor and friend of Harper Lee, grew up in Monroeville. Novelist Mark Childress was also born there. As of 2006, an estimated 30,000 tourists visited Monroeville annually because of its association with To Kill a Mockingbird. Each May the Monroe County Heritage Museum stages an amateur play based on the book. The all-volunteer cast has been invited to perform in Washington, D.C., Hull, England, and Jerusalem.
In 1997 the Alabama Legislature designated Monroeville and Monroe County the "Literary Capital of Alabama."
- In a nutshell:Neat Small Town; Great Movie
Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, was born and raised in Monroeville. The fictional town of Maycomb is... more travel advice
There is a nice and unique veterans' monument on the grounds of the old courthouse. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Monroeville Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Monroeville
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Monroeville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monroeville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos