"Basaic Fort Morgan Page" Fort Morgan by Basaic
Fort Morgan Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 86 photos
Fort Morgan was established in 1834 at the mouth of Mobile Bay. The fort was named for Revolutionary War hero Daniel Morgan. Many regard Fort Morgan as one of the "finest examples of military architecture in the New World." Fort Morgan is at the tip of Mobile Point at the western end of Alabama Highway 180. It and Dauphin Island, on which Fort Gaines is situated, enclose Mobile Bay. The Alabama Historical Commission maintains the site. The fort was very interesting to tour. There is a checkpoint along the entrance road where you will stop and pay the entrance fee of $5 per adult.
Fort Morgan had what is called a "dry moat" between the walls.
Stop at the museum across from the entrance to the fort to check out the displays and to get a brochure that guides you through the fort and explains what you are seeing.
The entrance into the interior of the fort is gained through a doorway called a Sally Port. Sally Ports frequently have... more travel advice
Around the fort are displays showing the different types of canons and guns used through the years at the fort. more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Fort Morgan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Fort Morgan
- Transportation in Fort Morgan
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Morgan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Morgan
- 20 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Fort Morgan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Morgan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos