"Basaic Dauphin Island Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Dauphin Island by Basaic
Dauphin Island Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 121 photos
Dauphin Island was mapped by Alonzo Pineda as early as 1519. It was settled by the French around 1699, then control of the island swieched to the British, then the Spanish, then the US then back to the British and finally back to the US.
Today Dauphin Island is home to some pricey real estate and several attractions. Fort Gaines was built here starting in 1819. Fort Gaines is famous for its participation in the Civil War battle where Admiral Farragut uttered the phrase "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!". There is also a nice Estuarium, and a nice beach.
Shell Mounds Park is a small park on the island where evidence of prehistoric human habitation was found. It has a short hiking trail with interpretive signs about the habitation. This park is also listed as a fine destination for birdwatching.
As always, when you see warning signs, you should obey them they are there for your safety and the protection of the... more travel advice
Many species of birds migrate through this area making it a prime stop for birdwatchers. I saw several different types... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Dauphin Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ferry and Fort"
- "Barrier Island on the Alabama Gulf Coast"
- "Dauphin Island... Alabama's Family Beach"
- "Dauphin Island, Alabama"
- "Basaic Dauphin Island Page"
- "Welcome to Dauphin Island, Alabama!"
- "jfmcobia's new Dauphin Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dauphin Island
- Hotels in Dauphin Island
- Transportation in Dauphin Island
- Nightlife in Dauphin Island
- Restaurants in Dauphin Island
- Shopping in Dauphin Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Dauphin Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dauphin Island
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1734)
Have you been to Dauphin Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dauphin Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos