"This is Jim B" Basaic's Profile

Me and VT

This photo is from February 2013. It is always interesting to see snow accumulate on palm trees.

First of all I am now retired!! I have done a number of things including teaching a number of college level classes and loved working with my students. I am still a student. I really believe the saying "no day is truly wasted when you learn something". That is also one of the reasons I love travel and VT. You can learn so much from both. I will always consider Florida my home, even though sometimes (like now) I am living somewhere else. I am currently living in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

Latest Pages:
Gainesville, Florida
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Orange Beach, AL
San Marcos, TX
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (almost done)

(working on)
Cedar Key, Florida
Tallahassee, Florida
New Orleans, Louisiana

Several pioneer pages like
Shady Brook, NM
Menno, SD

Family

Here is the latest addition to my extended family.

Friends

These are my friends Justin, Athena (my unofficially adopted daughter) and little Alexander (who will call me Grampa Jim). They are a great family and I am happy to help Lex as he grows up. I plan to get him into VT.

Past Travels

So far, I have lived/worked/traveled in 39+ countries (I count one extra because I went to West and East Germany while they were separate countries) and 48 US States. It would take too much room for me to list all the highlights. Maybe I will list one and change periodically.

As a kid, I went to the Everglades a few times. I to the Everglades in 1973; but had not been back since. I got to visit again in 2011. Everglades National Park is a fascinating place and is well worth a visit.

Wish List

Places I Want to See: (In no particular order)

The Great Wall and the Forbidden City
the Moon
Mars
(I'll add more soon)

Movies

One of my other passions is movies. I have a fairly extensive collection of movies from around the world. I'll highlight one movie and change periodically.

I love Science Fiction, too! One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies is "Serenity". "Serenity" has interesting characters, great special effects, a good story line, all the things you need for an outstanding movie. "Serenity" is a movie based on the characters from the shortlived series "Firefly".

Travels 2014

I was overwhelmed by getting the Barney Award for my small town pages. I really enjoy roadtrips and seeing the out of the way places. I also love to bring them to the members of VT and hope to continue to do so.

Started out 2014 with a drive through Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

Several day trips around Arizona.
A drive through South Texas.
A 72 day 12,000 mile road trip from Arizona to Maine and back.
More day trips around Arizona.

A drive through the desert in Southern California and around some of Arizona.

Below is one of my favorite travel pics in 2013.

So far 137,000 miles on my 09 Charger since April 2009 and another 23,000 on the Jeep. 227 travel days in 2014.

Postcards

I hope to start a collection of postcards from VTers (I'll send you some too if you ask). So far:

(from a5floor/Janka) The Netherlands; Appeldoorn (6); Veluwe National Park, The Netherlands; Midland, Ontario
(from AVSENT) Hong Kong
(from Cliff Claven) Malta; Phnom Penh
(from Donna in India) Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
(from Kaspian/Ed) Tamorindo, Costa Rica; North Bay, Canada; Marrkech, Morocco; Chicago; Sault Ste Marie, Canada; Cardiff, Wales; Lakeland, Florida; Dominican Republic
(from Margaretvn) Rotterdam
(from SL Liew) Penang, Malysia; Shanghai (3); Malaysia (3)
(from Travel Chili/Ande) Talinn, Estonia; Estonia
(from JessieLang) Macchu Picchu; Vietnam
(VT Meets) Cascais, Portugal; Krakow Meet (2); UK Meet

• Intro Updated Feb 27, 2015

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Thanks for you nice postcard of Council House, Mission San Luis, Tallahassee, Florida. SL :)

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I just watched the Firefly series... again... I knew there was a VT'er here who liked it, but took me a while to recall just who it was

• Basaic's Profile Photo
      Feb 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Open invitation my friend! By the way Ed (Kaspian) is a big "Firefly" fan too. Goes to the convention dressed as a browncoat and all. . .

• DSwede's Profile Photo
      Feb 24, 2015 at 9:51 PM

I went for Halloween a couple years ago, but have not gone since

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2015 at 6:15 AM

happy birthday to you happy birthday to you happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday to you

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2015 at 2:30 AM

Happy travels in 2015 - Year of the Sheep-Goat-Ram. Thanks for your postcards from Cedar Key, Florida and Conroe, Texas. Cheers from Penang Island, SL Liew ;)

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Added a couple more badges to your collection I see ;-)

• Basaic's Profile Photo
      Feb 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM

I have a number of pages that I have stuff to post for. I am always way behind because I get that itch and travel some more rather often.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:41 AM

And by travelling some more before your writing is done ... you'll only have more to write about ;-)

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2015 at 5:20 AM

Happy birhday from the UK. Your pages give a lovely insight into the less trodded parts of the US.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Happy Belated Birthday!

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Happy Birth day Jim , wish you great happy new year full happiness , health and great travels from Sunny Sharm El Sheikh!

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Thanks for accepting my friend request!

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Happy birthday! Cheers!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Basaic's Profile Photo

Basaic

“As for me, I'll take the road less traveled.”

Real Name