"This is Jim B" Basaic's Profile
This photo is from February 2013. It is always interesting to see snow accumulate on palm trees.
First of all I am now retired!! I have done a number of things including teaching a number of college level classes and loved working with my students. I am still a student. I really believe the saying "no day is truly wasted when you learn something". That is also one of the reasons I love travel and VT. You can learn so much from both. I will always consider Florida my home, even though sometimes (like now) I am living somewhere else. I am currently living in Sierra Vista, Arizona.
College Station, TX
Newest: Waco, TX and San Antonio (finally done).
also a few updates on various Arizona Pages.
These are my friends Justin, Athena (my unofficially adopted daughter) and little Alexander (who will call me Grampa Jim). They are a great family and I am happy to help Lex as he grows up. I plan to get him into VT.
So far, I have lived/worked/traveled in 39+ countries (I count one extra because I went to West and East Germany while they were separate countries) and 48 US States. It would take too much room for me to list all the highlights. Maybe I will list one and change periodically.
As a kid, I went to the Everglades a few times. I also went when I was 17 in 1973; but had not been back since. I got to visit again this year. Everglades National Park is a fascinating place and is well worth a visit.
Places I Want to See: (In no particular order)
The Great Wall and the Forbidden City
(I'll add more soon)
One of my other passions is movies. I have a fairly extensive collection of movies from around the world. I'll highlight one movie and change periodically.
I love Science Fiction, too! One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies is "Serenity". "Serenity" has interesting characters, great special effects, a good story line, all the things you need for an outstanding movie. "Serenity" is a movie based on the characters from the shortlived series "Firefly".
I was overwhelmed by getting the Barney Award for my small town pages. I really enjoy roadtrips and seeing the out of the way places. I also love to bring them to the members of VT and hope to continue to do so.
Started out 2014 with a drive through F;orida, Gerogia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
Below is one of my favorite travel pics in 2013.
So far 118,000 miles on my 09 Charger since April 2009 and another 15,000 on the Jeep. 45 travel days in 2014.
I hope to start a collection of postcards from VTers (I'll send you some too if you ask). So far:
(from a5floor/Janka) The Netherlands; Appeldoorn (6); Veluwe National Park, The Netherlands; Midland, Ontario
(from AVSENT) Hong Kong
(from Cliff Claven) Malta; Phnom Penh
(from Donna in India) Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
(from Kaspian/Ed) Tamorindo, Costa Rica; North Bay, Canada; Marrkech, Morocco; Chicago; Sault Ste Marie, Canada; Cardiff, Wales; Lakeland, Florida; Dominican Republic
(from Margaretvn) Rotterdam
(from SL Liew) Penang, Malysia; Shanghai (3); Malaysia (3)
(from Travel Chili/Ande) Talinn, Estonia; Estonia
(from JessieLang) Macchu Picchu; Vietnam
(VT Meets) Cascais, Portugal; Krakow Meet (2); UK Meet
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 7,537 Reviews
- 21,671 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 1,429 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
- Wrote a Review Jourdanton and Atascosa County in Jourdanton Things to Do
- updated a Jourdanton Travel Page "Basaic Jourdanton Page"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Collecting Postcards for my..."
- Commented on charmedvrouw's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Veterans Memorial"
updated their Profile Page "This is Jim B"
- Basaic and meltyan are now friends.
- Commented on the San Antonio travel guide
PhotosSee All Photos (21671)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos