"This is Jim B" Basaic's Profile

Me and VT

This photo is from February 2013. It is always interesting to see snow accumulate on palm trees.

First of all I am now retired!! I have done a number of things including teaching a number of college level classes and loved working with my students. I am still a student. I really believe the saying "no day is truly wasted when you learn something". That is also one of the reasons I love travel and VT. You can learn so much from both. I will always consider Florida my home, even though sometimes (like now) I am living somewhere else. I am currently living in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

Latest Pages:

Amarillo, Texas
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Hannibal, Missouri

Several hotels and Restaurants in the Northeast

Family

Here is the latest addition to my extended family.

Friends

These are my friends Justin, Athena (my unofficially adopted daughter) and little Alexander (who will call me Grampa Jim). They are a great family and I am happy to help Lex as he grows up. I plan to get him into VT.

Past Travels

So far, I have lived/worked/traveled in 39+ countries (I count one extra because I went to West and East Germany while they were separate countries) and 48 US States. It would take too much room for me to list all the highlights. Maybe I will list one and change periodically.

As a kid, I went to the Everglades a few times. I to the Everglades in 1973; but had not been back since. I got to visit again in 2011. Everglades National Park is a fascinating place and is well worth a visit.

Wish List

Places I Want to See: (In no particular order)

The Great Wall and the Forbidden City
the Moon
Mars
(I'll add more soon)

Movies

One of my other passions is movies. I have a fairly extensive collection of movies from around the world. I'll highlight one movie and change periodically.

I love Science Fiction, too! One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies is "Serenity". "Serenity" has interesting characters, great special effects, a good story line, all the things you need for an outstanding movie. "Serenity" is a movie based on the characters from the shortlived series "Firefly".

Travels 2014

I was overwhelmed by getting the Barney Award for my small town pages. I really enjoy roadtrips and seeing the out of the way places. I also love to bring them to the members of VT and hope to continue to do so.

Started out 2014 with a drive through Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

Several day trips around Arizona.
A drive through South Texas.
A 72 day 12,000 mile road trip from Arizona to Maine and back.
More day trips around Arizona.

Below is one of my favorite travel pics in 2013.

So far 132,000 miles on my 09 Charger since April 2009 and another 19,000 on the Jeep. 166 travel days in 2014 (so far).

Postcards

I hope to start a collection of postcards from VTers (I'll send you some too if you ask). So far:

(from a5floor/Janka) The Netherlands; Appeldoorn (6); Veluwe National Park, The Netherlands; Midland, Ontario
(from AVSENT) Hong Kong
(from Cliff Claven) Malta; Phnom Penh
(from Donna in India) Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
(from Kaspian/Ed) Tamorindo, Costa Rica; North Bay, Canada; Marrkech, Morocco; Chicago; Sault Ste Marie, Canada; Cardiff, Wales; Lakeland, Florida; Dominican Republic
(from Margaretvn) Rotterdam
(from SL Liew) Penang, Malysia; Shanghai (3); Malaysia (3)
(from Travel Chili/Ande) Talinn, Estonia; Estonia
(from JessieLang) Macchu Picchu; Vietnam
(VT Meets) Cascais, Portugal; Krakow Meet (2); UK Meet

• Intro Updated Oct 21, 2014

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Yesterday

Thanks for Pioneertown, Jim!! Really looks like my sorta place. You should be getting a postcard soon. Cheers and hope all's well, Ed.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Looks like we are both busy writing about our road trips to some lesser known places!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
      Nov 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM

We are both rather prolific posters that's for sure. And we both like "off the beaten path".

• nizash22's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2014 at 2:25 AM

thanks basaic for the add as a friend, i appreciate and value it

• Treshi's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Thank you Jim for the friend request, glad to be your friend and it's high time we do!!

• nizash22's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2014 at 3:05 AM

congrats for the featured member

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Congratulations on being in the member spotlight for October Jim. Well done

• Treshi's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Hello Jim, congratulations on becoming the featured member for October...Keep up the good work, Greetings from Sri Lanka!!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
      Oct 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Thanks, Treshi! Return greetings from Arizona.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I don't have to "meet" you since I know you. Just wanted to say Congratulations Spotlight Member for October!!

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Jim, Congratulations about becoming one of this month's spotlight stars, you have some really interesting tips.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Well done for being one of the Spotlight members this month Jim.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Basaic's Profile Photo

Basaic

“As for me, I'll take the road less traveled.”

Real Name