"This is Jim B" Basaic's Profile

Me and VT

This photo is from February 2013. It is always interesting to see snow accumulate on palm trees.

First of all I am now retired!! I have done a number of things including teaching a number of college level classes and loved working with my students. I am still a student. I really believe the saying "no day is truly wasted when you learn something". That is also one of the reasons I love travel and VT. You can learn so much from both. I will always consider Florida my home, even though sometimes (like now) I am living somewhere else. I am currently living in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

Latest Pages:

Panama City, Florida
Panama City Beach, Florida
Pointe a la Hache, Louisiana
Lake Charles, Louisiana
and lots of smaller towns in Texas and Louisiana (like Leakey, Panna Maria, and Pleasanton).

also a few updates on various Arizona Pages.

Cousin Doug

Here is my cousin Doug with another local.

Friends

These are my friends Justin, Athena (my unofficially adopted daughter) and little Alexander (who will call me Grampa Jim). They are a great family and I am happy to help Lex as he grows up. I plan to get him into VT.

Past Travels

So far, I have lived/worked/traveled in 39+ countries (I count one extra because I went to West and East Germany while they were separate countries) and 48 US States. It would take too much room for me to list all the highlights. Maybe I will list one and change periodically.

As a kid, I went to the Everglades a few times. I also went when I was 17 in 1973; but had not been back since. I got to visit again this year. Everglades National Park is a fascinating place and is well worth a visit.

Wish List

Places I Want to See: (In no particular order)

The Great Wall and the Forbidden City
Angkor Wat
the Pyramids
(I'll add more soon)

Movies

One of my other passions is movies. I have a fairly extensive collection of movies from around the world. I'll highlight one movie and change periodically.

I love Science Fiction, too! One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies is "Serenity". "Serenity" has interesting characters, great special effects, a good story line, all the things you need for an outstanding movie. "Serenity" is a movie based on the characters from the shortlived series "Firefly".

Travels 2014

I was overwhelmed by getting the Barney Award for my small town pages. I really enjoy roadtrips and seeing the out of the way places. I also love to bring them to the members of VT and hope to continue to do so.

Started out 2014 with a drive through Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

Several day trips around Arizona.

Below is one of my favorite travel pics in 2013.

So far 118,000 miles on my 09 Charger since April 2009 and another 16,000 on the Jeep. 53 travel days in 2014 (so far).

Postcards

I hope to start a collection of postcards from VTers (I'll send you some too if you ask). So far:

(from a5floor/Janka) The Netherlands; Appeldoorn (6); Veluwe National Park, The Netherlands; Midland, Ontario
(from AVSENT) Hong Kong
(from Cliff Claven) Malta; Phnom Penh
(from Donna in India) Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
(from Kaspian/Ed) Tamorindo, Costa Rica; North Bay, Canada; Marrkech, Morocco; Chicago; Sault Ste Marie, Canada; Cardiff, Wales; Lakeland, Florida; Dominican Republic
(from Margaretvn) Rotterdam
(from SL Liew) Penang, Malysia; Shanghai (3); Malaysia (3)
(from Travel Chili/Ande) Talinn, Estonia; Estonia
(from JessieLang) Macchu Picchu; Vietnam
(VT Meets) Cascais, Portugal; Krakow Meet (2); UK Meet

• Intro Updated Apr 8, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Basaic's Profile Photo

Basaic

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

Real Name