"This is Jim B" Basaic's Profile
This photo is from February 2013. It is always interesting to see snow accumulate on palm trees.
First of all I am now retired!! I have done a number of things including teaching a number of college level classes and loved working with my students. I am still a student. I really believe the saying "no day is truly wasted when you learn something". That is also one of the reasons I love travel and VT. You can learn so much from both. I will always consider Florida my home, even though sometimes (like now) I am living somewhere else. I am currently living in Sierra Vista, Arizona.
College Station, TX
Newest: Waco, TX and San Antonio (finally done).
also a few updates on various Arizona Pages.
These are my friends Justin, Athena (my unofficially adopted daughter) and little Alexander (who will call me Grampa Jim). They are a great family and I am happy to help Lex as he grows up. I plan to get him into VT.
So far, I have lived/worked/traveled in 39+ countries (I count one extra because I went to West and East Germany while they were separate countries) and 48 US States. It would take too much room for me to list all the highlights. Maybe I will list one and change periodically.
As a kid, I went to the Everglades a few times. I also went when I was 17 in 1973; but had not been back since. I got to visit again this year. Everglades National Park is a fascinating place and is well worth a visit.
Places I Want to See: (In no particular order)
The Great Wall and the Forbidden City
(I'll add more soon)
One of my other passions is movies. I have a fairly extensive collection of movies from around the world. I'll highlight one movie and change periodically.
I love Science Fiction, too! One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies is "Serenity". "Serenity" has interesting characters, great special effects, a good story line, all the things you need for an outstanding movie. "Serenity" is a movie based on the characters from the shortlived series "Firefly".
I was overwhelmed by getting the Barney Award for my small town pages. I really enjoy roadtrips and seeing the out of the way places. I also love to bring them to the members of VT and hope to continue to do so.
Started out 2013 with a drive to Tombstone and a few other nearby locations on New Year's Day.
Spent a week in the Phoenix area mid-January, and a few days wandering around Cochise County, Interstate 19 and Tucson in February.
Went to Phoenix in early March and drove across the US for a 46 day roadtrip in March/April (including meeting up with family from across the country (CA, CO, GA) in Nebraska).
Tucson again in May and June.
Day trips throuout the fall and a 4 day trip around SE Arizona in November.
Below is one of my favorite travel pics in 2013.
So far 110,000 miles on my 09 Charger since April 2009 and another 9000 on the Jeep. 130 travel days in 2013
I hope to start a collection of postcards from VTers (I'll send you some too if you ask). So far:
(from a5floor/Janka) The Netherlands; Appeldoorn (6); Veluwe National Park, The Netherlands; Midland, Ontario
(from AVSENT) Hong Kong
(from Cliff Claven) Malta; Phnom Penh
(from Donna in India) Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
(from Kaspian/Ed) Tamorindo, Costa Rica; North Bay, Canada; Marrkech, Morocco; Chicago; Sault Ste Marie, Canada; Cardiff, Wales; Lakeland, Florida; Dominican Republic
(from Margaretvn) Rotterdam
(from SL Liew) Penang, Malysia; Shanghai (3); Malaysia (3)
(from Travel Chili/Ande) Talinn, Estonia; Estonia
(from JessieLang) Macchu Picchu; Vietnam
(VT Meets) Cascais, Portugal; Krakow Meet (2); UK Meet
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Quezon City Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Seattle Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 7,340 Reviews
- 21,100 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 1,382 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Death or Not?"
- Commented on mirjana51's profile page
- Wrote a Review Skyharbor Airport about Sky Harbor Airport-getting there by plane in Phoenix Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Skyharbor Airport"
- updated a Phoenix Travel Page "Basaic Phoenix Page"
- Basaic and Opondili01 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "This is Jim B"
- Commented on the San Antonio travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22471 Reviews - 55005 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3096 Reviews - 5870 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos